Phosphates & Sodium Nitrite

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Phosphates & Sodium Nitrite

Postby kennyliza » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:01 pm

I take it these are used in salami, not sausages? Please advise.
kennyliza
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:22 pm

Phosphates are used I believe in most commercial sausages and also I think in Franco's sausage mixes. They are used for their water retaining capabilities, they also tend to improve the bite. They are also used for their ability to help in emulsifying meat.

Nitrites are used in some fresh sausage, such as Toulouse sausage, also quite a number of American sausages use it also. If you make sausages with nitrite (prague #1) please follow the recipe carefully, as nitrite can be dangerous.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby kennyliza » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:32 pm

Thanks Oddley. would you know if phosphates are generally safe for consumption, or are they of dubious nature?
kennyliza
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:53 pm

The amounts are restricted, not sure about here in the UK, but the US limits their use to 3 - 5 gm per kg, I believe.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/Tips.htm#Additives

http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~meatsci/a ... oducts.doc
Last edited by Oddley on Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:10 pm

Oddley,

I don't use phospates in my seasonings, phosphates are often added to commercial bacon cures to help the meat absorb more water,

They are sometimes added to commercial sausages ie Wall's and act as an emulsifying agent.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:17 pm

I have put forward the proposition before and as you didn't answer thought it true. I'm quite surprised you didn't know that a lot of sausages have phosphates in them.

For your information from len Polis site.

Len Poli wrote:Phosphates: The phosphates I use (called AmesPhos) are a combination of: Sodium Tri-polyphosphate, Sodium Pyro-phosphate and Sodium Hexa-metaphosphate, generally at the rate of 1/3 to 1/2 of one percent (0.3 to 0.5%) of the finished product weight. The following paragraph is a direct quote for Joe Ames' website on the purpose and use of phosphates in sausage making. I use this product regularly, and recommend to all sausage makers.

"Phosphates are used in a wide range of processed meat, poultry and seafood in which they perform several functions. Phosphates improve the retention of natural fluids in the animal muscle that would otherwise be lost in the aging, cooking or freezing process. They also act as protein solubilizers to aid in binding processed meats. Their presence results in improved texture, flavor and color."

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/Tips.htm#Additives
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:37 pm

Oddley wrote:[color=indigo]I'm quite surprised you didn't know that a lot of sausages have phosphates in them.

I didn't say I didn't know sausages had phosphates in them, I said they are sometimes added to commercial sausages. I don't think that there are many home users who add them to their sausages as the main reason people make their own is to get away from the 'water added' type of sausages commercially available.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Return to Beginners