Lamb sausages

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Lamb sausages

Postby gideon » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:18 pm

Hi,I've been experimenting with different recipes since I received my starter kit from sausagemaking.org, I must say that Ive been really pleased with the results so far. I would like to attempt some minted lamb sausages, but Ive not been able to find a recipe that gives me the recommended amount of fresh mint to use, I dont want toothpaste flavoured bangers!!! :shock: Can anyone oblige with a suitable recipe?
My brood all loved Franco's Sardinian mix I will be making some more tonight as I only managed to secure half a banger for myself from a 2kg batch!!
If all the worlds a stage, then where's my script???
gideon
Registered Member

Postby diabach » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:38 pm

:o Hi there have you any idea what you get in the starter packs I can find the spices and mixes but no info on quantities and need to get started asap your help would be much appreciated
diabach
Registered Member

Postby gideon » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:10 pm

:) Hi diabach,the starter pack that I received from sausagemaking.org was the basic pack containing, a manual mincer with filling tubes, 1x pack of hog casings and two spice mix's I also ordered a couple of spice mix's extra, this all arrived within two days of ordering, great service! there were instructions and recipes included in the pack. The spice mix's Ive had so far have been: Sardinian(excelent), cumberland,basic banger, and lincolnshire.They have all been very good so far, and I will definately be ordering more in the future. I've recently received some rusk and dextrose and I am suprised at the improvement in the succulence and apperance of my sausages.mmmmmm........nice.
gideon
Registered Member

Postby gideon » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:14 pm

:oops: Sorry diabach forgot to let you know the size of the spice mix's were 250g and and each pack has a label advising to use 20g - 40g per kilo of meat depending on personal taste.
gideon
Registered Member

Postby diabach » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:18 pm

Hi Gideon, thanks a bunch, I have a mincer but am about to buy the makings (spices, rusk and casings) the other point is I noticed with the mix there is fats used, water etc. Is there any useful sites to get the basic recipes from.
diabach
Registered Member

Postby gideon » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:24 pm

:D Diabach, I've found this forum very useful for recipes and ideas, if you search through the beginners section there is a wealth of information, I would recommend len poli's website it is posted in the links section of Franco's website sausagemaking.org.
gideon
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:44 pm

gideon

Have a look at this post:-

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=658&highlight=rosemary

Make sure to read Oddleys post as well as he suggested an adjustment to the rusk/water content. They turned out very well indeed, not overpowering the lamb.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby gideon » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:08 pm

:) Thanks for the info Paul, I'm off to my local butcher to order the lamb today, I will give your recipe a try this week, I like the idea of the rosemary, do you think I could substitute some of the water for concentrated red wine? my family are partial to lamb cooked in red wine and rosemary sauce.
gideon
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:11 pm

gideon

It is entirely up to you if you wish to use red wine instead of water, remember that recipes are just a guide and can be altered accordingly to personal taste. They are indicative of someone elses personal preferences. It's a bit more exacting when you start curing though, where certain parts of a recipe 'must' be followed exactly, but ordinary sausage should be fine.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby gideon » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:50 am

:D Hi Paul,
I tried your recipe for the lamb sausages yesterday, and I must say that on the taster pattie that I fried off they will be superb, I decided to leave out the red wine on this batch,I may try it on the next lot.
Many thanks.
gideon
Registered Member

Return to Beginners