dry cured chorizo

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

dry cured chorizo

Postby dvfrancaccio » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:47 pm

hello all:

i am new to the forum as well as sausage making. i just made a batch of spanish chorizo and want to learn if i did it correctly. this is what i did:

4lbs of coarse ground pork butt (about 20% fat)
7 tsp table salt
7 tsp smoked paprika
1 head of finely chopped garlic

i filled it into natural casings yesterday, poked a series of pin holes into the casings and was planning on hanging them in a cool place for several weeks until they harden.

can anyone please give me any input who has done this before the ensure that my process will be safe?

i thank you in advance,

george
dvfrancaccio
Newly Registered

Re: dry cured chorizo

Postby Mohalk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:04 pm

I'd like to see some type of cure used to make sure it will be safe. InstaCure #2 or at lease a salt with naturally accruing nitrate if the meat was very clean and fresh.

Al
Old school! Why? I'm old.
Mohalk
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:39 pm

...and no fermentation step, quantity of salt very vague. I'd rescue them now and put them in the 'fridge or freezer for use as fresh chorizo-style sausage.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi George,
I follow Martins advise and freeze them, at least you can enjoy them over an extended period.
When you want to dry sausages you will need cure #2 for safety. Make sure you weigh all ingredients correctly. The chorizo you made could be a health hazard, to put it bluntly, if dried and consumed.
On the forum there are plenty of good, tried and tested recipes or better still, just ask.
Make sure you always have both cures in the cupboard and use them if specified.
If you make chorizo again with fresh chopped garlic, try and stew the garlic first in a bit of water until soft and use the garlic and water. A less harsh taste is the result. I mix the cure with the garlic/water for a better distribution.
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby tommix » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Here is a link to a thread that Brican posted, some good reading here.........
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9395
tommix
Registered Member

Return to Beginners