Whole Mustard Seeds

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Whole Mustard Seeds

Postby kennyliza » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:20 pm

I'm finding it a little curious using whole mustard seeds in a sausage mix. Presumably because I've never tried pork sausages. Do the seeds stay whole in the cooked sausage - do you end up crunching them in your mouth, or do they soften up?
What's the point of using whole mustard seeds - I can't imagine they would release their flavours unless powdered?
Liza
Liza
kennyliza
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:40 am

Hi Liza,

I realise quite some time has passed since your post, but I was browsing through some other posts and found yours without any reply! I recently made a batch of beef sausages, you can find the recipe here "Beef Sausage" , which have both yellow mustard seeds and mustard powder. I found that the addition of the whole mustard seeds added to the texture and juiciness of the sausage, when cooked they were not hard, but you were aware of their presence in the sausage and they only added a little nuttiness to the flavour rather than any heat. Hope this helps you in some way, I found them to be a very worthwhile addition so much so that I have run out of mustard seeds and will have to order some more from the UK, as they seem to be unavailable here!

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby kennyliza » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:22 pm

Many thanks Richard, I'll give it a try.
Liza
kennyliza
Registered Member

Return to Beginners