Trying to understand types of sausage

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Trying to understand types of sausage

Postby Nickbbb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:18 am

I am brand new to sausage making. I am having surgery soon so I decided while I'm recovering I can try making sausages. But I am not understanding the types of sausage (dry, fresh) I am just wanting to make snack sticks and dinner sausages. What are these types? Thanks
Nickbbb
Registered Member

Re: Trying to understand types of sausage

Postby ericrice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 pm

I'll say up front lots of good information on here but I would also suggest getting a book to read before getting into "dry" sausages.

To answer your question "fresh" sausages are ones you would cook prior to eating (not sure what part of the world you are from but Bangers, breakfast sausage, as you state dinner sausages etc). Dry sausages are ones that over time are exactly that, cured and dried and usually never see any high temperatures. Once done correctly they are shelf stable such as the salami's and pepperoni you may see in the markets that aren't refrigerated. In the middle are semi-dry. Although I haven't done them I believe snack sticks could fall under dry or semi-dry.

With all sausages but even more so with cured meat (dry and semi-dry) there is a lot that you need to know and understand to do them successfully but also safely. A little knowledge with curing can truly be a deadly thing.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby Nickbbb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks!! I'm in Texas. And I just bought a book because I have heard war stories of people getting sick so I would rather take time to have the knowledge than be sick!!
Nickbbb
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:29 pm

I'll tell you and any beginner, especially with cured salami types, be patient. I'm a bit over 3 years in now and have had more than my share of failures, even with all the knowledge on this board and having read several books. It's part science, part feel and lots of trial and error. Happily I can say I finally "hit stride" and have over 100lbs of cured meat done already this year and I would put my finished products up against the best. Keep at it and know there are tons of great folks on here willing to offer assistance and advice and you'll be fine (eventually).
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby Nickbbb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks again! Yeah I needed something to pass my recovery time and also the down time between hunting seasons. So I figured I would start now so when I shoot anything while hunting my trail and error process hopefully will keep me from wasting good game meat!
Nickbbb
Registered Member

Return to Beginners