Deboned Ham Pauline's way

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Re: Deboned Ham Pauline's way

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback - I'm a happy boy! :lol: :lol: :D :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi Warston, - your ham looks nice. Don't worry about not having a thermometer, all you need to do is place the ham in a pan of cold water, replace the lid and bring slowly to the boil. Once boiling, turn the heat right down so that the water hardly moves (simmering with the occasional 'blip') and leave until done. Take a wooden skewer and press into the thickest part of the meat and with experience you will be able to tell when it is fully cooked. Hope you enjoy your time in the USA.

Phil - I did use the method of half injection/half brine placed in a ziplock bag and turned regularly, I think it was 6 days curing. I boiled it gently until done and reserved the 'stock' which has set to jelly to use in pork pies. The gelatinous skin was eaten warm by myself after being removed from the cooked meat - chef's perk ! Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:15 pm

yotmon wrote:The gelatinous skin was eaten warm by myself after being removed from the cooked meat - chef's perk ! Ste.

Many thanks. I've also seen the skin dried and fried: as in pork scratchings.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:24 am

yotmon wrote:Hi Warston, - your ham looks nice. Don't worry about not having a thermometer, all you need to do is place the ham in a pan of cold water, replace the lid and bring slowly to the boil. Once boiling, turn the heat right down so that the water hardly moves (simmering with the occasional 'blip') and leave until done. Take a wooden skewer and press into the thickest part of the meat and with experience you will be able to tell when it is fully cooked. Hope you enjoy your time in the USA.

Phil - I did use the method of half injection/half brine placed in a ziplock bag and turned regularly, I think it was 6 days curing. I boiled it gently until done and reserved the 'stock' which has set to jelly to use in pork pies. The gelatinous skin was eaten warm by myself after being removed from the cooked meat - chef's perk ! Ste.

Hi Yotmon !
thanks a lot for the kind suggestion !! really appreciate it
the weird thing that yesterday i tried different mussel and it was almost cooked O.o so i think i will continue enjoying this slight cooked ham with it's lovely juiciness :D
warston
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners