Deboned Ham Pauline's way

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Deboned Ham Pauline's way

Postby warston » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm

So today I went to the market and got a 3.5 KG leg for 8 dollars and 30 cents
I decided to debone for the first time . So after cutting the skin and the fat and debone the leg it dropped to 2.2 KG ( what a loss ) the bones here in Sri Lanka are quite big comparing to the leg size.

the recipe I made my mind up to do is from Wheels' Blog

so here are the figures:

308 water
77 salt
44 suger
430 brine

Nitrite calculations : 11(cure#1) X 0.0625 = 0.687 Pure Nitrite , this was added to the solution up after bringing it to boil and cool it down.

Then the solution was brought back to 440.

Half of this was injected ( 220) in the meat and the rest was put with the meat in zip bag in the refrigerator

* I used little black pepper and coriander seeds and little fenugreek + rosemary as spices

curing time : 7 days
I could not take all the air out of the bag , and because the rest of the liquid is little I'm just concerned about some reaction or spoilage for the meat .
Another issue that I'm using a normal syringe or needle , so nothing is stainless .. is that bad ?
The last small issue is the ropes I used , it is little thick and can absorb little amount of curing solution , will that be a threat for the meat ?
So Phil , Jim and other guys , what do you think about it ?
Thanks,
Roger

edit by request
warston
Registered Member

Re: Deboned Ham Pauline's way

Postby wheels » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:56 pm

I can't see the last 3 pictures; they're not showing.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 am

Warston

I'm sorry that you've had problems displaying your photos.

I don't know exactly how the site where you store your photos works. But, I've tried to look by following the links that you posted.

So, here we go - select the image you want to display - click on that image - then pick the link to the right of the photo you want to use that is labelled 'IMG Thumb Code' - click on the code in the box and it will copy it. You can then paste the code into your post here. It will look like this:

Code: Select all
[url=http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/user/warston/media/1-18_zpsf777b9dd.jpg.html][img]http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/warston/th_1-18_zpsf777b9dd.jpg[/img][/url]

That's how it comes from the site you use. Don't add any 'tags' from here.

The one that I picked from your site displays as:

That way you will at least get the image displayed.

The other options that I tried would require you to resize the image. How that works for the site where you store your images, I'll leave to others that use the same site to explain.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:24 am

thanks Phil ! actually i dono wt's wrong with the pictures from 3-5 :?
i can't edit my post ... other wise i would have corrected that in seconds ..

what noticed that, before i used to click on the img icon then paste my link, then click again on image icon to post the picture sucessfully .. but now when you click on image the header and footer of word image is there and the mouse pointer is in the middle, so when you paste the link, it simply has the image word before and after
and i had follow the same procedure from picture 1 til 5 .. but dono why only the first two show up ..
Roger
warston
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:33 pm

PM me the links and I'll insert them for you. The first two photos have a different of link to the following three which is why they're not showing.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:00 pm

thanks Phil ! i really appreciate your efforts !
although the photos appeared in "half mode" but still thanks :D

i will post the result soon ..
warston
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:50 pm

They're like that for the reasons I explained in my PM - which is why I asked you to put thumbnails, linked to the originals - see above.
wheels wrote:Warston

I'm sorry that you've had problems displaying your photos.

I don't know exactly how the site where you store your photos works. But, I've tried to look by following the links that you posted.

So, here we go - select the image you want to display - click on that image - then pick the link to the right of the photo you want to use that is labelled 'IMG Thumb Code' - click on the code in the box and it will copy it. You can then paste the code into your post here. It will look like this:

Code: Select all
[url=http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/user/warston/media/1-18_zpsf777b9dd.jpg.html][img]http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/warston/th_1-18_zpsf777b9dd.jpg[/img][/url]

That's how it comes from the site you use. Don't add any 'tags' from here.

The one that I picked from your site displays as:

That way you will at least get the image displayed.

The other options that I tried would require you to resize the image. How that works for the site where you store your images, I'll leave to others that use the same site to explain.

HTH

Phil
Emphasis added 13-03

As I said in my PM, I can't vouch for how the ham will turn out, since I assume that as you've been away, you ignored the bit about turning it:

On his blog, Phil wrote:You can now add the spices back to the remaining brine and put the meat into a sealed bag with the brine. Exclude as much air as possible so that the meat is in contact with the brine. Place it into the fridge and turn it two or three times a day for no more than days.

Fingers-crossed that It'll be OK.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 am

oh sorry Phil ! my bad, i didn't understand from where to get the IMG THUMB because it was not shown as an option in my Photobucket .. but now i updated the links and added it ..

so i will just try to upload now and see if it will work ..

by the way , i gave my house key to a neighbor and asked her to turn the ham while i'm away 2-3 times a day . so this was done.

about the days it took 8 days before she washed the ham for me and then let it rest in the fridge 1 day and half

then i came home and immediately simmered it ( this time i had BIG flue so could not take on smoking it with wood, so i tried to put a moving oven on the gas cooker and just try to give it a color and some taste by brushing it with honey,dijon,little brown sugar and 1 tsp bbq sauce , so it was roasted little bit) then i took it off, gave it cold shower and put in in zip bag with out air as much as i could

and here are the results

and now it's done

i really don't know how to cut from this ham because i deboned it and now 3 mussels are separated ... so this was the only disadvantage of taking of the skin+debone .. next time i will make sure to keep the skin then with some threads i can keep the cylindrical shape of it
warston
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:01 am

Hi Roger.If you go into Photobucket and select your photo you will see Image links to the right of your picture click IMG code and it will copy to your clipboard and yo can paste into your post.
There are currently issues with the forum displaying full sized images

select your photo and just above the photo is a tab marked options.Click on this and select edit.When in edit select resize and then make the maximum 600 the other mesurement will be altered automatically.At this point I check the box "replace original" but you can save the resized image as a copy.

Hope this is clear

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby warston » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 pm

will try that now ..

that worked perfectly !

thanks Jim !! solution is perfect :)
warston
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks for helping Jim. :D

Warston
Phew, I'm glad you arranged for your neighbour to do that. If the meat's strung, it's usually an indication that it was cooked too hot if the muscles separate (or at least, that's what I've found).

Was it OK otherwise? Any feedback on this adaption to the recipe which uses less brine-cure would be appreciated as I've only just put it on my blog (after about a year of using it myself to test it).

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:11 am

wheels wrote:Thanks for helping Jim. :D

Warston
Phew, I'm glad you arranged for your neighbour to do that. If the meat's strung, it's usually an indication that it was cooked too hot if the muscles separate (or at least, that's what I've found).

Was it OK otherwise? Any feedback on this adaption to the recipe which uses less brine-cure would be appreciated as I've only just put it on my blog (after about a year of using it myself to test it).

Phil

Hi Phil, I cooked a 2.2kg piece of leg of boneless pork using your 'Pauline's Ham' method a couple of weeks ago and it worked out fine. Trouble is it didn't last very long - too easy to lift out of the fridge and help myself to a slice :D .
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:23 am

Thanks for that, was it the 'one in a bag'?

Phil :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 am

wheels wrote:Thanks for helping Jim. :D

Warston

Phil

ya Phil sorry for not having any feedback from my side, this sickness making me mindless :?
you know that i don't have a thermometer .. so the mussels are separated because of my bad deboning i think .. still i don't mind about the shape .. now i use the iron stick to get it inside the meat while simmering it and in the deep part of it it was warm to little hot , then i thought that it is the time to not over cook it .. then i off the gas , and when i sliced to taste i ended up with 60% raw .... shame ..
to be honest this way ( i don't know why ) went way better than any ham i ever done or tasted from the shops as commercial !!! my wife even said that. i really do not have big issue with eating half raw meat because every week i party with my wife bringing pork loin , shop it thick big slices, heat pan , apply some butter on the loins chops and then give a 2 minutes for each side . so inside is raw - half cooked
but what i know about the ham i have done that it could taste MUCH better if it was cooked well than this :(
i will post a photo about the textures and the color of the meat inside ...
i tried to slice some and simmer them again , true it was cooked slices but the meat has no taste ..
so any suggestions ? i was thinking that frying is the only solution :/ but i don't want to loose the juicy taste of this awesome ham .. sadly the thermometers are costly ( 85 dollars ) and i can't afford it
but now i'm leaving to USA CA in 2 weeks then the real ham making will start where i will get the ride of using pure nitrite and start using some cures !

sorry i'm talking a lot of rubbish

all in all Phil , without exaggerating : this ham is the best ham i ever done because of it's awesome taste ( this is the only time i managed to get juniper berry and it really made big difference )
just 1 thing, my wife said that it needed a bit more salt ( til now i'm myself unable to taste good because of my flue)
wanna thank you at the end for this new recipe of this awesome ham where now it doesn't need a lot of brine to cure it and can use even mid size zip bags , so less efforts , less time , and really better flavor

Roger
warston
Registered Member

Postby warston » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:54 am

here is the picture:

in some parts of it , it's really well cooked ! in others , half cooked .. but i'm happy with it
warston
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners