Sausage skins

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Sausage skins

Postby Helen2 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Had a look at the titles in this section but became very alarmed as they sound terribly complicated.
I ordered some Hog intestines? They have arrived in a small plastic bag - how do I store them and how long will they keep in the fridge. I'm sure the advert said they would be in liquid but they dont apear to be, this is not looking promising. I have also ordered some Organic Pork and Leek sausage mix, will this containe nitrite/nitrates? It contains dehydrated leeks, will I need to add fresh Leeks also? Both items were purchased from Chesterfields Ltd.
Sorry to be so dumb this is my first sausage making attempt :shock:
Helen2
Registered Member

Re: Sausage skins

Postby onewheeler » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:24 pm

They'll keep for well over a year in the 'fridge. They are in salt. You will sound more professional / pretentious if you call them casings, not skins :D

The fun part is untangling them if you haven't bought the type spooled onto a tube. Don't rush, they come apart quite easily! Just take out as much as you need and put the rest back in a bag, top up with a bit more salt if necessary.

Very much doubt if the pork & leek seasoning will contain nitrites/ates, it will be designed for a fresh sausage. It should come with instructions, the main thing is to make check whether extra salt is needed. Fresh leek shouldn't be needed but is optional.

Have fun!

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Return to Beginners