Need Help with Chicken Sausage

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Need Help with Chicken Sausage

Postby chefisaac » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Hello all. Need help with chicken sausage. Would like to nail down a recipe that works great. Right now, they are soft after being cooked versus firm. Juicy yes, just soft. Would like to stay away from pork products as my wife does not eat pork.

Here is what I went with today:

7 pounds chicken tights, boneless, partially skinless
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp marjoram
5 T garlic, minced
1 1/2 Franks Hot Sauce
1/2 sirachca
12 ounces turkey bacon
1 cup dry milk powder
2 cups ground oats
3 c bleu cheese

Everything was cold when I ground it and also when I stuffed it. I stuffed it and poached one then seared in it in the pan.

Here is what it looks like

https://plus.google.com/photos/10446632 ... Mu33v_XjwE
chefisaac
Registered Member

Re: Need Help with Chicken Sausage

Postby NCPaul » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 pm

It may be that the vinegar in the balsamic and in Frank's hot sauce are inhibiting the bind. You might try boiling these ingredients down to drive off the acetic, then chilling them down and making them your last additions. Welcome to the forum. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:32 pm

It looks to me that you're way low on the salt. I think your 1.5 tsp of kosher salt weighs around 6 grams and for 7 I'd have used 40g-60g the salt is needed for a good bind of the proteins in the meat. And Paul might be onto something with the vinegar.

Welcome to the forums.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby chefisaac » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Is it best to stick with a proven recipe for forumla for suasage making? I have hit a frusteration point. GRRRR.

I took some of the sausage out of the causing (raw) and added more oat flour thinking it would tighten it up but it is still soft.

I am game if anyone has a great chicken sausage recipe that does not use any pork. :)
chefisaac
Registered Member

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 pm

DanMcG is right. Chicken meat contains a lot of water. What you can do is:
1) grind the meat
2) pre-salt with 1/2 of final salt (as per DanMcG suggestions). Vinegar squizees juice out ot the meat, so you may want to try the vinegar first (with or without the 1/2 salt) and see what happens.
3) let it purge overnite in the fridge
4) add the rest of the salt + spices and case.
Maddmax
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:09 pm

I really like the concept of a buffalo wing flavored sausage but what purpose does the Vinegar serve?

I agree that you have not nearly enough salt. I tend to like my fresh sausages with about 1.5% salt by weight, which means you'd need about 23g salt for your 15kg of meat.

Blue cheese melts, too, which will make your sausage softer.

This is a pretty great basic chicken sausage recipe: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... en-sausage

I have modified it with success with various herbs and spices. Nothing as extensive as yours but this might give you a good start with ratios. Notice that the recipe writer includes ground frozen chicken skin which helps the bind.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby chefisaac » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Vinegar gives it the sharp edge to the taste. It plays a different roll on your tongue then the hot sauce. Sorta fun to eat actually. The flavor sends your mouth on a roller coaster. A lot of flavor pop.
chefisaac
Registered Member

Postby chefisaac » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:36 pm

So, this is a little confusing.

Salt is a binder? This is interesting.

When do you know if you need bread crumbs or an egg for binding to different starches like tapioca, oat flour, etc?
chefisaac
Registered Member

Postby chefisaac » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:38 pm

And why is "special meat binder" I see in some recipes? When should that be used?
chefisaac
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 pm

when salt mixes with the lean meat it helps extract proteins which binds liquids
The Special meat binder is a phosphate mix that also binds water like soy products and Dried milk. Phosphates are good for long slow smoked sausage to prevent moisture loose and shrinkage.
I just finished a chicken hotdog experiment using 3% tapioca starch as a fat replacement as per Captain Wassname's advice. will post it tomorrow
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby chefisaac » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Dan,

So since I used chicken and used other liquids like hot sauce, siracha and bleu cheese, should I have used tapioca starch to hold all the liquid in?
chefisaac
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:04 am

not sure what you got going on, with all the DMP and oats I can't imagine you would need more binder, thats what made me notice the low salt amount.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:31 am

I would definitely try a different recipe.
There's a lot going on in the recipe you posted, it's difficult to guess exactly what the problem is....the low salt, acid and turkey bacon will all affect the bind in a negative way, especially if its not mixed well.
Start with a basic recipe, get the binding right, then slowly tailor the recipe to your liking.

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:12 am

I agree with DanMcG and DDF, there is a lot going on in your recipe. There are two proteins that bind moisture in sausage, actin and myosin. Both of these are extracted and unravel in the presence of salt. This allows them to bind water and to add structure to the sausage. Phosphates do this to an even greater extent. Different meats, of course, show this to different levels. In my experience, beef and lamb have less binding than pork, which has less binding than poultry. If the pH is low, binding is lowered. Additives such as breadcrumbs of starch also bind water but do not add structure to the sausage. Holding water is different to sausage makers than creating the bind. I hope this is clear, if not, keep asking questions.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:43 am

NCPaul summed it up perfectly.

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners