Authentic Boerewors Recipe

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Authentic Boerewors Recipe

Postby Sausage_Man » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 am

Hi All

Sausage Making is so exciting and just being new at it and having made my very first batch last week, I just cant wait to get down to making some good old farmers style boerwors

I have 1 small problem - all the recipe's call for pork but I want to use all beef with no addition of pork or pork fat. I know it's easy as just substituting the same amount of beef for pork however I have read that beef is slightly more dry than pork so I was wondering how to keep the beef moist and juicy?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
SM
Sausage_Man
Registered Member

Re: Authentic Boerewors Recipe

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi,

Here's links to a couple on a site owned by a forum member. They both have options for the omission of pork:

http://www.biltongbox.com/boer2.shtml

http://www.biltongbox.com/boer.shtml

I hope this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Sausage_Man » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks Wheels

I actually came across this recipe here on Len Poli's site http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Boerewors.pdf and it sounds delicious however they ask for Phosphate and Citric Acid.
Citric Acid shouldn't be too difficult to find but phosphate i can't seem to locate anywhere.

I read up a little on Phosphate and the reason it's use and from my understanding it's to emulsify the meat better. Crown has this product http://www.crownnational.co.za/_downloa ... flavor.pdf Page 11 called emulsitex - it sounds like it does the same as Phopsphate - can anyone comment?

I also found they have curing salt but they don't call it curing salt - rather they call it Prague Powder. They have 2 different kinds - most recipes i have found call for cure #1 or cure #2 - which of these 2 types is #1 and #2

Thanks again
Regards
SM
Sausage_Man
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:43 pm

I'm guessing that, in this case, the citric acid is just to add to the acidity. Although why, when it already contains vinegar, I don't know.

The phosphates help retain water/moisture. Many prefer not to use them.

The cure #1 isn't necessary in a fresh product. It's to protect the sausage during smoking.

Prague #1 and #2 are, for all intents and purposes, the same as Cure #1 and #2.

Or, 'that's my take on it' anyway.

Given the complexity of Len's recipe, I'd favour one of Aris's on the biltong box site.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:02 pm

There are a lot of boerewors topics, here, too, including some of Aris' favorites. Just search for 'boerewors' in the search box at the top of the page. Some of the recipes are pork-free, some for mutton, some for antelope, some for beef or buffalo.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby springbok chick » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Greetings, I only found this forum today so I apologize for such a late reply. I am allergic to pork so the local butcher (back home is S.A.) used Mutton fat (sheep fat) and a little bit of ground mutton. You would never know the difference. Hope this helps.
springbok chick
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Springbok chick,

Welcome :D :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners