Food Storage guidlines

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Food Storage guidlines

Postby gsevelle » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Ok I'm not sure where to post this question so I put it here. My freezers are full and I need to get a better handle on when I should freeze or keep in the refregerator. I use a foodsaver vacuum sealer on all my meats. So for different preparations what are your personal guidlines for:

Raw Sausage -- this would be sausage that has been stuffed but not cooked or smoked. (For that which I will not be cooking in two to four days I will vacuum seal and freeze)

Hot Smoked Sausage -- This would be sausage that has been fully cooked to an internal temp of 160* F or more. (I've been freezing these but am curious if I could seal and leave in Frig for some lenght of time)

Cold Smoked Sausage -- I've not done any of these but would like to know what you recommend

Curered/smoked meats -- I've been making pastrami with whole briskets so I need to store leftovers. (For the extra that will not be eaten in three to four days I've been sealing and freezing, but was thinking that I could just seal and store in frig) I guess bacon would fall into this catagory as well.

Dry curered meats -- salami and other flavors of this style of preperation. (I store in frig till I'm ready to use then after I remove the casing I'll seal that which I won't be using over the next few weeks, that which I plan on using I put in zip lock bags for up to 3 weeks.)

If you have recommendations or opinions please indicated how you package for storage, what type of storage (hang in dark corner, frig, freezer) and how long for each type of storage.

thanks/George :)
The smoke is rising and the butt is brining
gsevelle
Registered Member

Re: Food Storage guidlines

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:11 am

Oh blimey, that's a lot of questions! One question that raises 100's of issues.

I'll start, but the reply is in general terms: not specific.

Of all of them, the most (potentially) dangerous as far as I'm concerned, is vac-packed: fridge or freezer is a minimum requirement for them.

...and thinking about it, the only one I wouldn't refrigerate (at least) is air-dried salami/salumi.

I'll reserve judgement on bacon, ham etc, as it depends on the cures.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Kizer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:51 pm

I am thinking about freezing some of my cured meats. I have a fresh Lonzino. Should I slice it up first, or freeze it whole?
Kizer
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:12 pm

I tend too slice, vac-pac and then freeze. But, I'm not sure that it really matters - it depends more on how you'll want to use it - all at once, or bit-by-bit.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Kizer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:25 pm

wheels wrote:I tend too slice, vac-pac and then freeze. But, I'm not sure that it really matters - it depends more on how you'll want to use it - all at once, or bit-by-bit.

Phil

Perfect! That was my plan. I just didn't want them to get damaged while frozen or during defrost. Some I might keep as whole muscle though, so I will just have to see how that goes.
Kizer
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:22 pm

For dried whole muscles if you keep it as a whole muscle in vac pac I would personally leave it unfrozen if you have a cold (35-36F) fridge, in this way it will continue to age and the flavors will develop.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Kizer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Wunderdave wrote:For dried whole muscles if you keep it as a whole muscle in vac pac I would personally leave it unfrozen if you have a cold (35-36F) fridge, in this way it will continue to age and the flavors will develop.

First off, thanks!

Will it last a couple of months that way? I want the bulk of it to go to a memorial day vacation.
Kizer
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Kizer wrote:
Wunderdave wrote:For dried whole muscles if you keep it as a whole muscle in vac pac I would personally leave it unfrozen if you have a cold (35-36F) fridge, in this way it will continue to age and the flavors will develop.

First off, thanks!

Will it last a couple of months that way? I want the bulk of it to go to a memorial day vacation.

In one word ~~~ yes :D I have had product around for up to five years like this and the flavour has been out of this world.
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Brings to mind a crate of hams, sealed in vac bags with their required weights of 2:1 equilibrium cure sweet brine, that have been in one of our cold rooms for 18-24 months!!!

Haven't had the courage to open any up...:0
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:30 pm

quietwatersfarm wrote:Brings to mind a crate of hams, sealed in vac bags with their required weights of 2:1 equilibrium cure sweet brine, that have been in one of our cold rooms for 18-24 months!!!

Haven't had the courage to open any up...:0

vagreys and I put together some Irish hams -----

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9470&hilit=irish+hams

there are still 7 there ~~~~~ Smoked 4 four weeks ago

If I do not return discard yours :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Beginners