Bone in Lamb Prosciutto

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Bone in Lamb Prosciutto

Postby Kizer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Has anyone tried to do this? I am using a Jason Molinari recipe, and I am wondering if I need to drop my curing fridge temperature to 50F as per the recipe? Is this to avoid bone rot?

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Prosciutto-lamb.pdf

I already have my lamb curing.
Kizer
Registered Member

Re: Bone in Lamb Prosciutto

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Kizer wrote: I am using a Jason Molinari recipe, and I am wondering if I need to drop my curing fridge temperature to 50F as per the recipe? Is this to avoid bone rot?

Kizer, Jason's a great bloke, why not email and ask him?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Kizer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:55 am

Sounds like a great plan, I will email him via his blog and see what he thinks. I had no idea he was accessible.
Kizer
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Just thinking, is it the lamb prosciutto of Jason's. He lists the curing chamber temp as 54f for that. Thinking back, I'm sure we discussed this. I think he prefers to dry at around this temp - it's about 12c. My own experience (nothing like the amount that Jason has) is that bad moulds are less likely to grow at the lower end of the recommended drying temps.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Kizer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:43 pm

"hey. 50 deg. isn't that low for drying. Standard temps are 50-58 or so...that one was at the lower end of the range for no particular reason than that's where my chamber was running.
I normally run it 55-57 or so." -Jason

Jason answered my email quickly. Case solved. Now everyone cross their fingers for avoiding bone rot on my first bone in project.
Kizer
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:03 pm

:D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners