What causes Hollowing?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

What causes Hollowing?

Postby NXGHOST » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:05 am

On a recent batch of Salami the center was slightly hollow. I remember there was an additive you can add to aid in this but cant seem to find it. Any help is appreciated.
NXGHOST
Registered Member

Postby NXGHOST » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:12 pm

120 views and no-one knows!?
NXGHOST
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:05 pm

NXGHOST

I also had this in a small part of one of my salamis. I had assumed it was down to my stuffing technique, but I note that in Len Poli's recipe for Milano Salami, he advises to mix the meat with the salt and refridgerate until it becomes sticky and will not fall out of an upturned hand. Maybe this has something to do with it. I'm only guessing.
I don't know the additive you are looking for but would assume it has emulsifying properties. I know Franco sells a phosphate additive called Supaphos, which emulsifies, but it also states that it helps moisture retention.. which goes against what you are trying to achieve with salami..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby tristar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:17 pm

NXGHOST

I have as yet, not made any Salami but found the following:
And every salumi maker has cut into a perfect-looking salami to find it hollow and putrid inside -- the outside hardened too fast, keeping the inside from curing

in an Article in the Image
"Going whole hog Salumi, Italy's preserved meats, enjoy a rebirth as Bay Area chefs learn the art of making their own"

I would assume that it could be avoided by correct Temperature and Humidity control, which is discussed in a number of threads on this site.

Regards,
Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Return to Beginners