Made a bunch of sausage...is it safe?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Made a bunch of sausage...is it safe?

Postby NorthSmoke » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi all, just came across this forum and joined up right. Last night I made my first batch of sausage (about 25lbs) for drying but I think I may have messed up. I roughly followed an old recipe my grandfather used for over 50 years....basically ground pork/bit of deer with lots of garlic, paprika, chilli pepper, table salt and pepper...(I used maybe 200 ml of table salt). I plan to cold smoke it today for some flavor and then hang it to dry for 2-3 weeks outside in a drafty shed ( I live way up north so temps are perfect)

Will this meat be safe to eat? I did some reading and people are talking about botulism if you don't use curing agents, nitrates, certain amount of salt, etc, etc., so it's got me very worried that I didn't use enough salt/curing agents. Unfortunately grandfather passed several years ago so I can't get the exact recipe from him. Should I continue with my plan and dry this sausage or just give up? Will this sausage be safe to eat? I grew up eating this type of sausage with no ill effects at but after reading online stuff online it seems to be a bio-hazard without proper curing agents/salt.
NorthSmoke
Newly Registered

Re: Made a bunch of sausage...is it safe?

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:28 pm

Perhaps you should have asked FIRST. Sausage making is potentially dangerous and smoking adds to the risk.
The way I see it, you have two options.
1) you trash everything
2) you eat the sausages and let us know.
Nobody can tell you online if your sausages are safe for consumption. Nobody!
Maddmax
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:53 pm

IF it's been kept cold (refridgerator temperatures) since you made it then eat some fresh and freeze the rest.

The salt content is OK - 25 lbs = ~ 10 kg, 200 ml salt ~ 220 g so just over 2%. Might be a little salty for some tastes in a fresh sausage but there's at least enough.

Then ask for more detailed advice here!

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby NorthSmoke » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I am going to risk it...instead I am going to freeze a bunch up for the BBQ (fried some up this morning, it was great) and then take a bunch out of the castings, add nitrate and make some salami for cold smoking/drying - I just went and picked up some nitrate (pink colored cure) and a salami stuffing tube. \is it okay to take the sausage out of the casting (its been kept cold) add nitrate and dry it?

Hopefully it works out.
NorthSmoke
Newly Registered

Postby NCPaul » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D The pink cure (Cure #1) you bought contains sodium nitrite and is suitable for smoked sausage. To make salami you would need Cure #2, which contains both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate. The sausage could be uncased, cure added, restuffed and smoked, but not dried. The cure usage rate should be closely adhered to.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners