Keeping it all together

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Keeping it all together

Postby losp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:27 am

Hi I am up to my third attempt now.
And i am having a bit of trouble with something. When the sausage gets cut open it is crumbling a bit.

I use a meat grinder to grind and add the stuffing horn to stuff (and take away the grinding plate).
should this be fine?

I have been grinding once (fat and lean meat together) on the bigger holes, mixing the spices in by hand. Then taking the plate away, leaving only the screwy thing and the stuffing horn.

I have been reading around and i think it could be a few issues.
The first time i didnt really keep things cold enough. So the second time i cut the meat frozen and put the meat in the fridge in-between tasks.

I am thinking it could be a couple of things:

1) the meat still got too warm/ I took too long
2) the fat didnt mix properly. perhaps i played with it too much.

Next time i think ill try keeping the gear in the freezer, mixing the spices with only the lean meat and then introduce the fat to the rest of the ground meat at stuffing time. Will this help work?
losp
Newly Registered

Re: Keeping it all together

Postby wheels » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Welcome

Have a try mixing the meat, spices, salt etc well until it is like sausage, rather than just ground meat. It may take a few minutes.

If that doesn't cure it, post the recipe here and someone will check it out.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:20 am

Welcome to the forum. :D

The first time i didnt really keep things cold enough. So the second time i cut the meat frozen

You actually want to be between these two extremes. The meat should be par frozen, dry to the touch but not completely frozen. There are several ways to have a poor bind; mixing is the most likely as Wheels is suggesting. Your recipe might help the forum to help you. The amount of fat and salt could be clues for us.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Big Guy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:38 am

get a stuffer, you are overworking the mince and probably breaking the bind when running it through the grinder again.
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Big Guy wrote:get a stuffer, you are overworking the mince and probably breaking the bind when running it through the grinder again.

This is my thought too. Crumbly texture sounds like fat smear to me.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Return to Beginners