Trouble shooting mould

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Trouble shooting mould

Postby reee » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:20 am

Get everyone.

I'm quite frustrated. I've followed appropriate instructions regarding my curing chamber. I'm basically using Jason mollinari's setup. And by that I mean down to the equipment but for the humidifier. But I keep getting nasty mould. So I need some help troubleshooting. First two questions...

1). How often do you dudes have your fan running? Mine is on only when humidifier is on.

2). I have condensation that forms on the roof of the fridge by the light. The water then drips down to the bottom of the fridge, where I have a salt pan. It forms a large pool. How should I combat this condensation?

I mean, could I have the wrong kind of humidifier? I'm completely stumped and tired of hitting the vinegar rub down every night.

Thanks dudes. Ree
reee
Registered Member

Re: Trouble shooting mould

Postby herjac » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:04 am

If there is condensation in your curing chamber then you obviously have too much humidity. A salt pan may not be the right solution for your application. Does your frig have a compressor? If it does but is not frost free style where the moisture from the coils runs to a pan outside the chamber then the humidity may be trapped inside. If this is the case then you may need to reduce the humidity by having fresh air brought into the chamber by a fan on a timer or by some other means. We need a lot more detail on your setup.
herjac
Registered Member

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Can you elaborate on the "nasty moulds"? How do they lok like? Do you use a mould starter? If so, do you use a commercial one or is it home-made?
Have in mind that both Penicillium nalgiovense and Penicillium glaucum look much "hairier" during the initial active growth than they look on the finished product.
Maddmax
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Innoculate with beneficial mold and get your RH under control, and you won't have many problems.

It's not so much a question of "what" humidifier you have but rather how much it's running. Also keep in mind that warmer air temperatures can hold much more water than colder, so 70%RH at 15C is way wetter than 70%RH at 9C
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby reee » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:52 pm

And that makes sense dave. My digital humidity reader was showing 75%. My humidistat was set to about 75% and my mechanical himidity reader was showing aroun 60%. Confusing I know. About 58%f btw.

I gut the humidity back on the humidistat to 65% and it is looking much better in there now although I still have some very colorful mould on my lonzino (very pretty in a colorful way) the rest of my stuff looks much better.

Now, it appears the only issue I need to resolve is the condensation on the top of the refrigerator (this is inside the unit behind the light on a protrusion that basically extends downward into the chamber about 203 inches). I can wipe the condensation away but it comes back. Since the humidity has been lowered, it has slowed but not stopped. I dont know if this has anything to do with the fact that the frezer above the refrigerator is still functioning. Still troubleshooting that one...

re
reee
Registered Member

Return to Beginners