Converting a fridge for curing

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Converting a fridge for curing

Postby pafowkes » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi All,

I have acquired a fridge (no freezer compartment) to convert into a cabinet and before I go cutting holes in it I was wondering whether anybody knows whether it is generally safe to cut through the sides and top or if there are likely to be components in there. Maybe those of you who have done this could give me some advice?

Thanks
pafowkes
Newly Registered

Re: Converting a fridge for curing

Postby NCPaul » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Welcome to the forum. I know what would happen to me if I tried to cut a hole in the top or side. :D Can you get a diagram from the maker? I just run the wires in and don't worry about the door closing all the way.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:33 am

If you absolutely must drill holes I would suspect the door would be best.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby bwalt822 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Can you post a link to the fridge? I found out the hard way where not to drill holes in Danby fridges. Also if your fridge can hold corny kegs check the homebrew forums to see if anyone has used them for keggerators.
bwalt822
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Turn it on, and when it's good and cold rub it down heavy with alcohol. It'll evaporate differently, showing you where the cooling lines are located.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby Kizer » Fri May 03, 2013 6:58 pm

It's best to find a schematic for your fridge. Even with one, I came really close to cutting wires when I cut through the bottom of the freezer section on mine. There is a step through on my blog you can check out, and there are a lot of other blogs out there that have tackled this project.

http://www.kizerfoods.com/?p=22
Kizer
Registered Member

Return to Beginners