New To Chorizo.

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

New To Chorizo.

Postby Fallow Buck » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:12 pm

Hi All,

I've been making venison Sausages for a couple of years now, but last week I bough some Chorzo mix from Franco.

I would like to make some Chorizo for cooking with NOT the Salami type, and I have a couple of questions.

First, the bag just says "Chorizo" on it. How should I use the mix? Do I add Rusk, fat etc?

Also, Most Chorizo that I have come accros, (bought) seems to be of a drier consistency than most sausage. It thins because it is dried/cured once the skins are filled?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:26 pm

Fallow Buck

I have used Franco's chorizo mix for both dried sausage and 'wet' sausage and must say it makes a very good wet sausage, a bit of a grainy texture when dried, although the flavour was quite good. When making the wet sausage I add rusk, fat and water as if making a normal sausage for cooking. I use the mix at 50 grms per KG of meat / fat.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:19 am

Paul,

I had a practice run on a 1kg batch. They were nice if a little spicy. I quite like the sweeet paprika taste so will supplement the mix next time with some of this that I buy from a spanish importer.

I left the sausages to dry for 2 days bbefore cooking and this helped the consistency although I didn't put water into the mix.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Return to Beginners