Slicing Bone in Lamb Prosciutto

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Slicing Bone in Lamb Prosciutto

Postby Kizer » Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 pm

My Lamb Prosciutto is ready, but I am having trouble slicing it up. I tend to use my deli slicer for most meats, but I can't fit it on there with the bone. Any ideas? Is there a special knife? My knife is really sharp, but I can't seem to get thin long slices off of it.

:drool:
Kizer
Registered Member

Re: Slicing Bone in Lamb Prosciutto

Postby Ice » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:03 pm

Cut off a chunk and then use it on the slicer, likely in the end you will get scrap pieces near the bone, use them to cook with or pack them with salt to make prosciutto salt
Ice
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Ice wrote:prosciutto salt

I like the cut of your jib
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Massimo Maddaloni » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Sorry I am a little late to reply. There is tool called "porta prosciutto" "prosciutto holder". You can google it or check on Ebay.it
As the name says it holds the prosciutto narrow-side-up. I have seen people cutting long slices with it using a fillet knife. It takes skills but it can be done. Get the more expensive one with the long side clamps that can be adjusted on any size.
M
Massimo Maddaloni
No one knows more than all of us (quoted from Zulululu)
Massimo Maddaloni
Registered Member

Return to Beginners