coppa question

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

coppa question

Postby Dryamilehi » Sat May 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Cured in fridge for 16 days. Fermented 24 hours (for mold I guess). Hung to dry on the 5th of march. I used a collagen casing and had a problem with it sticking to the meat which let mold grow on the meat. Some of the mold is light green but most of it is the good stuff. The green stuff only grew on the white. The meat smells really nice but with the green mold i'm a little leery to eat it. I remember seeing a video about making culatello and their seemed to be light green mold present. What do you guys think?
Dryamilehi
Registered Member

Re: coppa question

Postby NCPaul » Sat May 25, 2013 5:52 pm

I would trim the bulk of it then wipe off the rest with vinegar. Just my opinion.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby crustyo44 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:05 pm

I have seen this many years ago at an Italian friends place who make plenty Coppa's every winter.
He just trimmed the green mould and wiped the meat all over with the famous vinegar mix.
I am still alive, so go ahead and trim it and enjoy. It looks great.
Cheers,
Jan
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun May 26, 2013 8:17 am

I usually take a soft nylon brush ~~~ something like this http://www.functionjunction.com/product ... able-Brush to clean off the mold. I have never used vinegar due to taste, I have used lukewarm water and brush but these have been on rare occasions the brush alone has worked fine

Before

After

But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue May 28, 2013 2:23 pm

I would probably eat this. Looks nice!
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Return to Beginners