what do you use

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

what do you use

Postby Dryamilehi » Wed May 29, 2013 5:13 pm

So with my problem with collagen casings not sticking to the meat I will use a natural casing to dry whole meat next time.If needed what do you guys use to stitch the casing closed? And where can it be purchased? Probably only necessary with meat larger than I'm ready to attempt to dry, but just thought I'd ask.
Dryamilehi
Registered Member

Re: what do you use

Postby BriCan » Wed May 29, 2013 5:56 pm

Dryamilehi wrote:So with my problem with collagen casings not sticking to the meat

I know this is might sound like a dumb question ............. did you by any chance prick the casing ?? :?
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Dryamilehi » Wed May 29, 2013 11:20 pm

Yes sir. Tied it as tight as I possibly could, then pricked the heck out of it.
Dryamilehi
Registered Member

Postby Dryamilehi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:20 am

anyone?
Dryamilehi
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Sorry man I dry my large solid cuts like coppa etc uncased. Did you tie outside the casing with a web of string or apply netting?
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:38 pm

I will confess I have limited experience with collagen casings (edible at least). If you are referring to the edible I encountered the same issue my first few times - I also expreienced case hardening. By keeping the humidity higher for longer (mid to high 80's for two weeks or so) both problems went away.

For inedible collagen casings I have never had a problem with the casings not sicking but if you are usign them I woudl suggest trying the same approach.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:07 am

you need protein lined cases, they will shrink and bond to the meat. I use hog rings or butcher cord for closing the ends.
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Dryamilehi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:12 am

Wunderdave wrote:Sorry man I dry my large solid cuts like coppa etc uncased. Did you tie outside the casing with a web of string or apply netting?

I tied it as tight as I could and pricked it really well. You can kinda see the way it was tied here.
I think maybe I had too much air flow in the beginning. I will drop it next time.
Once I get everything 'dialed in' I would like to try a culatello and from what I've seen you need to stitch the natural casing closed. I guess we'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Dryamilehi
Registered Member

Return to Beginners