Reber Sausage Filler Blocked

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Reber Sausage Filler Blocked

Postby Sawyer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:53 am

Hi, I managed to to succesfully stuff what we call "Boerewors". The thickness of a Russion.Yet when I try to do a thinner version we call "Dry wors" the Reber filler get blocked and does not push the meat through the nozzle. I have almost broken the gear. I have tried a stainless steel and plastic nozzle. Any assitance will be appreciated. Is my meat to dry? It is a 80/20 mix of venison and sheep tail fat mixed through a 4.5 mincer plate.
Sawyer
Newly Registered

Re: Reber Sausage Filler Blocked

Postby johngaltsmotor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:18 pm

For smaller casings sometimes even if the recipe does not call for it, it makes it simpler to stuff if you mix in some water immediately before stuffing. Do not do it in advance or it will absorb, but right after you mix the water in the sausage will be soupy and slippery and stuff much easier. The water acts like a lubricant and reduces the effort to stuff through small tubes.
How much water to suggest I am not sure, in a recent sheep casing sausage I used 300ml per 3kg of meat.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Re: Reber Sausage Filler Blocked

Postby RodinBangkok » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:15 pm

This style stuffer, and many others for that matter are very poorly designed for efficient flow. You have a very large barrel with a flat end plate and a hole, the material is pushed with another flat plate against this large flat surface, and some of the material finds its way out the small hole. The larger the diameter barrel, and the smaller the diameter hole the more force is needed to get material to flow. Add to that very stiff mixtures and all that is happening is you are compressing this mixture against two large plates, hoping some of it will find its way out the small opening. Just plain poor design, but cheap to make.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Return to Beginners