Terrible trouble

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Terrible trouble

Postby Papist » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:00 am

I have tried several times but I can't seem to grind pork butt. I grind beef just fine. But there is something in that pork that is clogging my grinder. There is some membrane or some string of tendon or something that runs through it. Is there a trick to butchering it? Being a beginner I just buy the butt and cut it into cubes (like I do with beef) and run it through. But it won't work. And when I have to disassemble and scoop the pork out, even thought it is ground, the string or clump or whatever it is, is in there......all clumped.
Papist
Newly Registered

Re: Terrible trouble

Postby Mohalk » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 am

Welcome.
It sounds like there may be several things here. While cutting the pork try to remove as much as the connective tissue you can. You are not grinding the pork par-frozen, you want the pork close to frozen to where it is stiff but not completely hard. Also you may have a dull blade in the grinder.

Al
Old school! Why? I'm old.
Mohalk
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:30 pm

I do the pork exactly the way you do without any trouble, so I suspect it is a blade problem. I use either a cheap motor grinder or a small hand grinder depending on the amount of the pork. however, now that I think of it, I always use the coarse 3/8" or larger plates.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:13 pm

I've seen the same but typically only when the pork isn't cold enough to start, especially if you separate the fat, I grind the fat nearly frozen.
As you've already guessed, when you trim the butt from the bone make sure you cut out any tendons. The little bit of meat you'll save isn't worth the aggravation.
If you do a double grind where the first is very coarse (1/2") then even if the tendon wraps around the backside of the blade it won't affect throughput as much. Then when you change to a finer grind you'll have eliminated the problem bits.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Return to Beginners