Beef sausage recipe?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Beef sausage recipe?

Postby Weoochaun » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:59 am

Can anyone point me to a recipe for a fresh juicy beef sausage.

I would prefer to use just beef but from what I've read, it seems I may have better luck if I add some pork fat.
Also I don't have access to soy protein and would definitely prefer to use rice rather than rusk or breadcrumbs if that's are called for.

I've tried some 100% beef with 2% salt, pepper, sage. They taste good (not fantastic) but even if I poach them at fairly low temps (140F) they are still pretty dry.

Any help would be appreciated.
Weoochaun
Registered Member

Re: Beef sausage recipe?

Postby NCPaul » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:04 pm

I liked this one:

viewtopic.php?t=9454

This one would also be good if you can use pork as well as beef:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8895&p=77937&hilit=test#p77937
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Weoochaun » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:20 am

Thanks for those Vagreys
The 2nd recipe looks more appealing to me, main point being that I'd rather not add cure in a fresh sausage.
I forgot to mention that I also have been using fresh onions in my attempts. Do you think there would be any problem to include fresh instead of powder?
What do you think about adding some rice for texture and water retention?
Hopefully tiday I shall be able to give these a try with a little adjustment :oops: to the formula.
Weoochaun
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:31 pm

The first recipe NCPaul linked to is an extremely good one, but only if it is smoked first. Otherwise it's quite bland. I made about 60 lbs of it last winter.

Bull's meat has 100% water retention by weight, meaning you can mix 1.1, although you may want to try mixing 1 part meat to .5 water for safety.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby Weoochaun » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:33 am

First, my apologies to NCPaul. Yes, thanks for posting that link to the Vargreys recipe.
I made a batch as follows
Beef 1600g
Pork fat 500
Water 250
Cooked rice (about 2/3 water) 50
Concentrated tomato paste 33
Black pepper 9.5
Thyme 1.4
Sage 1.8
Oregano 1.8
Fresh minced onion 200
Minced garlic 15
Minced ginger 5
Salt 27

Pretty darn good! My kids haven't tried them yet. Will get their feedback in a couple of hours.
Still not quite as juicy as I would like, quite a lot of water loss during cooking. Thinking maybe I could add a small amount of milk powder?
Also I ground one time through the larger of the plates that I have, next time I will try thee smaller holes.
Interesting what Dogfish says about Bull's meat. I'm using the common cow but do you think I could up the water content?
All said, great sausage, thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Weoochaun
Registered Member

Return to Beginners