You've been asked Before - so I'll ask it again - Help!!

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby ockie » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:49 am

Paul Kribs wrote: few 'sherberts' then let them taste.. you will then find out for sure..

Done! In fact, I took a few sausages and fresh laid eggs from our hens, round to a couple of freinds who also run B & B's and asked for their opinion. Before anyone says it, no intention to sell sausages to them commercially, just as mates to try out the nw idea.
Ockie
'I would much rather have the bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy' - Sir Winston S Churchill
ockie
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:25 pm

Tip on getting the excess out of the tube, rip up stale bread (doesn't have to be stale but using something that would otherwise go in the bin) into half inch chunks and add it to the stuffer behind the meat. The bread gets pushed through last ensuring all the sausage meat has come out.

Works on my 10kg Reber so should do the same on yours!

Regards

Toby

(ps. hi all, back on line after several months absence for which apologies)
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby ockie » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:35 pm

TobyB wrote:Tip on getting the excess out of the tube, rip up stale bread (doesn't have to be stale but using something that would otherwise go in the bin) into half inch chunks and add it to the stuffer behind the meat. The bread gets pushed through last ensuring all the sausage meat has come out.

What a cracking idea. Cheers !!!

I noticed somewhere that someone once said 'advice is often asked for, freely given and seldom taken'. :o

All advice given has been extremely useful and most welcome, with out it we would still be buying other peoples sausages. Thanks again Guys it has been most intructive. :P
Ockie
'I would much rather have the bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy' - Sir Winston S Churchill
ockie
Registered Member

Postby ockie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:07 pm

Paul,

As you know, I took the advice and bought a 9500 N size 22, mincer. After a short time, I have noticed the 'knife', blade, is a little dull. Oviously it needs sharpening but the question is, how?

Any special method/stone or will an oil stone suffice?
Ockie
ockie
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:48 pm

Hi Ockie
Paul and company weighed in on how to sharpen mincer blades in this thread a while back. Good luck.
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=542&highlight=sharpening+mincer+blade&sid=993046fe44107034bf7c0fcf7c65e7ce
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:41 am

ockie

TJ has pointed you in the right direction for advice on honing your blade. Be advised that due to the hardness of the steel that it takes a bit of time. I would also opt for buying another blade for your machine, they are only �9, and that would give you the option to sharpen the dull one at your leisure. There is some more discussion in this thread :- http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=578&highlight=sharpen+blade

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby ockie » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:40 am

Paul & TJ

Thank you both for your indulgence. Will follow the thread provided.

A good idea to get another blade, I nee to look at different plates as well, primarily for the initial grind on a gourser cut to then refine the mince after seasoning etc.
Ockie
ockie
Registered Member

Postby ockie » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:17 pm

Hi Guys,

Thought you would like an update:

Have been churning out sausages like a man possessed! First lot ok ish, second lot using a Pork Seasoning mix, bland! Not enough fat. Next lot, I decided to experiment with my own herb mix and the results, oh boy! Three lots of the herb mix further on and we have almost refined it to perfection. Now we are about to break down the whole of the recipe into its component parts to get the spice mix right as we have been using a 50/50 mix of pork seasoning and Trad Pork mix with pepper.

The customers love 'em and the research goes on!
Ockie
ockie
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners