I messed up

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

I messed up

Postby badjak » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:02 pm

So I smoked chicken breasts yesterday.
Brining/curing all went fine, even managed to hang the whole batch nicely inside the smoker. Fired up the little proQ, couldn't find a tealight, managed eventually with citronella tealight. Left it burning for a while, outside the smoker as citronella taste was not required.
Everything proceeds OK but when I went to check the proQ (as I couldn't smell smoke anymore) she had gone out. This happened a couple of times.
In the end I took the breasts out of the smoker and cooked them inside the oven till the required internal meat temperature.
I estimate that they only had about 2 hours of smoke, instead of the intended 5 to 6.
I tasted one today and they are definitely edible, but no or a very faint smoky flavour.
Are there anyways I can still do with this batch to increase the smokiness? Maybe warm smoke? Or another cold smoke cycle?

I will now go on testing the different sawdusts. I saw a number of posts, and will go through them and learn
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Re: I messed up

Postby badjak » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:05 am

I sliced one up and had some people have a taste. They all liked it anyway so I ended up slicing and vacuum packing them. They are now in the freezer.

I tested the proQ with the same saw dust and it was now working fine.
Got no real clue as to why it didn't wanna go properly the last time.
I can just see 2 options:
There was a section were the layer of sawdust was a bit thin and that is where the proQ stopped smoking.
Then when I tried to relight it, the humidity may have been high as it was getting toward the evening and my lawn had just been watered.

I am just putting it down to experience. Maybe I was getting a bit cocky as the first attempt went so well.
badjak
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:51 am

I have a smoker similar to the Pro-Q (a-maze-in) and I've been having some problems keeping mine lit and determined it's likley due to moisture, especially if you've had the sawdust for a while. The owner of a-maze-in suggested I microwave my pellets for a minute or so to dry out which helped only a little. I think next time I'm going to roast them in the oven at 350ºF for about 30 min before smoking. Just my .02 worth....
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby badjak » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:20 am

Thanks!
I haven't had any problems since, and am quite convinced it was a humidity problem.
I don't have a microwave and am just a tad scared of heating up sawdust in the oven as mine is a gas oven....
badjak
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:56 pm

I had the same problem with the ProQ, and humidity is the reason, 100% certain. Tampa is a humid place, being so close to the Gulf of Mexico.

My solution was to take the sawdust I needed and microwave it until it was dry. It didn't take too long, and then it worked fine.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Doh! I never thought of the microwave, I've always put mine in a cool oven. I keep some in the house that's dry; the rest's in a leaky shed. So I'm used to drying it.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Laripu » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:29 am

wheels wrote:Doh! I never thought of the microwave, I've always put mine in a cool oven. I keep some in the house that's dry; the rest's in a leaky shed. So I'm used to drying it.

Isn't the ProQ a great little device?

Did you see the suggestion I made in another thread about a tin to hold the candle? This works really well.

I wish I had one with the nifty message like this one.
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:54 am

wheels wrote:Doh! I never thought of the microwave, I've always put mine in a cool oven. I keep some in the house that's dry; the rest's in a leaky shed. So I'm used to drying it.

Yee gads lads. Just please watch wot uh iz doing ... I really do not want to ear that said owses av burnt down cuz y'all wantid tu do sum smoking :shock: :shock:

Frum one ow az dun that .. not bun owse down but started fire in mico ..... :oops:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:00 pm

BriCan wrote:Frum one ow az dun that .. not bun owse down but started fire in mico ..... :oops:

:lol:
Dat only happing in Bricklish Colbumbia. :lol:

BTW in Tampa, Flo'da, dis normle tock. :oops: Dat why pipl frum Tampa called Tampons. :oops:
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:03 am

Laripu wrote:
BTW in Tampa, Flo'da, dis normle tock. :oops: Dat why pipl frum Tampa called Tampons. :oops:

Sits tightly on hands :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:52 pm

BriCan wrote:
Laripu wrote:

Sits tightly on hands :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:

It's just a joke! :lol:

I can spell, really! I even know when to put a 'u' in color/colour, and when not to. :D

I was just playing "follow the leader"... and you were the leader. :D
Laripu
Registered Member

Return to Beginners