Napoli salami

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Napoli salami

Postby Ploppy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Good evening, I am a beginner in the making of salamis. Made quite a few sausages. Just got the Napoli Salami seasoning and see that it needs 1g LS 25 starter culture. Unfortunately I don't have the starter culture and live in Azerbaijan.

Just about to start to make a small batch in about an hours time. What will leaving out the starter culture do? Please answer as soon as possible!
Ploppy
Registered Member

Re: Napoli salami

Postby ericrice » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:47 pm

The culture introduces beneficial bacteria which prevent against "bad" bacteria taking over. They are considered an important safety hurdle. THere are folks on the site that have used yogurt with live cultures instead. A search on yogurt shoudl get you to some of those discussions.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: Napoli salami

Postby Ploppy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Good evening Eric, Many thanks for responding. I was waiting for reminder coming up in my email box. Getting lazy in my old age! I will order some culture and put it in next time.

Best regards, John
Ploppy
Registered Member

Return to Beginners