Fermentation temp for chorizo with t-spx

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Fermentation temp for chorizo with t-spx

Postby sheermomentum » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm sorry if this is a very newbie question - but I am a newbie and I'm concerned about something.

I made my first batch of chorizo last weekend, and I followed a recipe that specified to let it hang for days at around 68 degrees fahrenheit/20 degrees celsius. I also see from the general directions for the T-SPX culture that optimum fermentation temps are 68 to 74 (or 20 to 23). But I had it hanging in a place that my own readings over the 3 days it was there were never above 62/16, and most of the time, they were closer to 60/15.

I have not taken a pH reading (I'll be doing this in the future). Do you think I should be worried about spoilage at this point? The color does not look too dark, and there is a certain scent, but I cannot tell for certain whether it is the meat or the larger-than-specified amount of garlic that I added.

It's hanging now in my cheese fridge (which is now my meat and cheese fridge), and I'll probably just wait and see how it turns out in a couple months. But I'd appreciate a more expert opinion from anyone who has one. Should I be worried?
sheermomentum
Registered Member

Re: Fermentation temp for chorizo with t-spx

Postby wheels » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi, welcome. Here's the effect of temp on T-SPX taken from a brochure issued by the manufacturer:

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Ideally the pH of the chorizo would reach 5.3 on the graph Wheels has posted. Your temperature was a little cool. The amount of sugar and the amount of starter culture will also play a part. Welcome to the forum. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby sheermomentum » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks, both. I'm learning something new every day :) . I also found this chart: http://www.alliedkenco.com/pdf/Culture% ... 20Uses.pdf. It indicates that the minimum growth temp for the lactic-acid-producing component of t-spx is 59F. So, yeah, I think that probably the fermentation was likely severely retarded. I guess I'll get those pH strips and see where it actually is at this point, but I think perhaps this is going to be one of those expensive newbie mistakes.
sheermomentum
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:53 pm

I wouldn't lose hope yet. How much dextrose did you use? I have taken to using my oven as my fermentation chamber. A tray of water with a paper towel dipping in it will raise the humidity (tip from grisell), and the oven light (shielded) can be used to warm to fermentation temps.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby sheermomentum » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Ok, I won't abandon all hope :) . I used .2% dextrose, or 2 grams in my little 1000 gram batch, plus another 3 grams of table sugar. I'm also noticing a little whiffiness in the pepperoni that I hung a couple days ago, even though the temp on it has been holding steady between 66 and 68. Thank you for the tip about using the oven. I've been using a large coleman cooler turned on its side, with a glass of water tucked into the corner - but this time I brought it inside instead of leaving it in the garage. I opened it this morning to let it warm up a few degrees and dry out a few percent. The humidity had climbed to 99%.

P.S. I am using the Marianski recipes from "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages." They specify to leave things curing for 3 days at the warm temps. So I'm also wondering if the scents I'm picking up are just normal for this process. I hate not knowing what I'm doing :).
sheermomentum
Registered Member

Return to Beginners