New to this

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

New to this

Postby Yolande » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:30 am

Hi all.
Was so happy to find this forum
Well, we are currently living in Saudi, and as a South African the one thing we miss nearly as much as pork is good sausage.
Went to a retail shop and bought a Kenwood mincer, that has a sausage stuffer.

Made our first batch yesterday.
It came out pretty good, but man was it hard work.

We are going to rather buy the proper stuffer, the hand operated one.
The Kenwood one was terrible to use.

It is a battle to mince, and stuffing the casing took forever.
Did we do it wrong, or is it a problem using this machine.
I have looked at so many youtube video's and it seems like it is a breeze....
Yolande
Newly Registered

Re: New to this

Postby GUS » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:24 pm

Nah, it's a tricky so & so, compared to dedicated bigger better units, however there is always a re-sell market so all should be well, (I have one myself on a kenwood KM010 1400W, cut, cubed & heavily chilled is the way (in my limited experience) ..as well as chilling the mincer prior to use, though there is, doubtless plenty of material here on that already.

My experience is deep clean the entire length of the kitchen worktops as i'll use every bit of space swapping stuff around in my strictly amateur making process, & plunging my hands in iced water to knock back my hands heat (mess makers) allowing better continuity, but others can advise you far more concisely than me.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Re: New to this

Postby Laripu » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:04 pm

My first attempts were with the Kitchenaid grinder+ suffer attachment. It was also horrible. I still use the grinder as a grinder, but I bought a LEM 5-lb vertical cylinder manual stuffer, and that works fine. The fact that it's manual results in much more control.

It occurs to me that people outside the US say mincer, not grinder, but you know what I mean. :)
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Return to Beginners