New Guy...Polish Sausage in Progress...Question...

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

New Guy...Polish Sausage in Progress...Question...

Postby coldmark » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Nice site! Glad I found it. I'm in the middle of my first attempt at sausage Here's what I've done so far:

Day 1: brought home a 9 lb pork butt
Day 2: Cubed it and added salt and seasoning and a cup of ice water, covered and put in the fridge
Day 3: Nothing
Day 4: Ran out of time so I froze it in 2 ziploc bags and went to deer hunting camp
Day 8: Put it in the garage to thaw (approximately 40 degrees F in there)
Day 9: Put on the counter for 2 hours until fully thawed, grinded it, put back in the fridge
Day 10: Today is day 10, I'm about to put it in the casings after I read the instructions

Question: After I put it in the casings, can I freeze the sausage after already feezing the cubed pork? Also, I'm going to serve it at camp on Saturday, assuming it turns out ok. Will it keep for 3 days? Or should I freeze it? Or partially cook it? Thanks!
coldmark
Newly Registered

Re: New Guy...Polish Sausage in Progress...Question...

Postby the chorizo kid » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:30 pm

personally, I think pork is forgiving, and can be frozen; thawed; frozen; thawed. it may dry out somewhat as it does lose some liquid. I have done this without apparent problem. as for the 3 days after stuffing, and before serving, I assume it will be properly refrigerated for those 3 days. if so, what is the problem? it is salted and cold, both of which retard spoilage. after 3 days, if it smells sour, chuck it. if not, cook it fully and enjoy. that's my opinion.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Return to Beginners