Does this sound right? Dry Aged Venison Sausage/Salami

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Does this sound right? Dry Aged Venison Sausage/Salami

Postby sausage202 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:19 pm

So, deer season is here and historically I’ve been given deer sausage from dozens of different people. However, many of them use pretty much the same technique. Grind/Mix/Stuff into fibrous casings. Then they let air dry and hang them in a smokehouse and hit it with smoke for about 10 straight hours but NOT cooking them. Temperatures stay below 104* F (warm smoking) but more ideally 70-90* just for the smoke flavor. Here’s where it gets tricky. Some people I know have full walk ins where they’re able to hang with the correct humidity and temperature. However, some just leave it in the smokehouse for 6 weeks (plus/minus) regardless of the humidity, temperature (hot or cold)…Since it’s using a cure #2, does the humidity or temperature matter regarding the safety of the food. Obviously, it will affect the texture and quality of the product but I’m curious about the safety side of it.

I’d like to start doing this myself and be able to pass it on down the road. I’ve helped make it a few years and I smoke a lot of foods but obviously dry curing meats is a different level.

I’ve read “Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing” by Rytek Kutas and “Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages” by Stanley Marianski and Adam Marianski and while they’re loaded with tons of great info and recipes, many recipes can differ on the ideal temp and humidity.

So, I’d love some feedback to see if this looks good

25 Lbs. Venison
25 Lbs. Pork Butt/Fat
10 Teaspoons of Insta Cure #2
Spice pack from meat market

Stuff into 2.5"x20" fibrous casings, prick the casings and let hang dry for an hour to dry a bit to absorb smoke

Cold/Warm Smoke for 10 hours for hickory flavor

Hang between 45-55* F with a humidity around 70-75% for +/- 6 weeks till approximately 30% weight loss

Also, the spice mix is actually a Summer Sausage seasoning the meat market sells but they said that it comes with a cure #1 which obviously won’t work so I can just use the spices they give but use a cure #2. This is the spice mix I was told we used a couple years ago which was the best deer sausage I've ever had. The spice mix was from Wenneman Meat Market in Illinois. My only question is will I have to find out how much salt is in it so I know I have enough or does it not matter? What about dextrose

Thanks!
sausage202
Registered Member

Re: Does this sound right? Dry Aged Venison Sausage/Salami

Postby NCPaul » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:36 pm

I would ferment the salami before smoking it. I like Bactoferm F-LC because it also protects against listeria. You will need to add dextrose to feed the bacteria. The salt content of the spice mixture is very important and should be 2.3 % minimum; if the spice mixture lists the sodium content, we can help you convert to % salt.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby sausage202 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:55 pm

NCPaul wrote:I would ferment the salami before smoking it. I like Bactoferm F-LC because it also protects against listeria. You will need to add dextrose to feed the bacteria. The salt content of the spice mixture is very important and should be 2.3 % minimum; if the spice mixture lists the sodium content, we can help you convert to % salt.

Could I bother you to explain the process of that a bit more. While both books I have are great, it's hard because all the recipes and techniques for dry aging don't address venison.

Also, should I find out if dextrose is in the spice mix or is that a separate thing? I know a lot of meat markets here have stuff around this time of year that "include everything you need" but I don't want to double up on something or omit it.

Thanks!
sausage202
Registered Member

Postby sausage202 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:35 am

Also, if the temperature is say 65-70, does that really matter from a safety standpoint? I know the texture, etc...will be affected
sausage202
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:53 am

NCPaul wrote:I would ferment the salami before smoking it. I like Bactoferm F-LC because it also protects against listeria. You will need to add dextrose to feed the bacteria. The salt content of the spice mixture is very important and should be 2.3 % minimum; if the spice mixture lists the sodium content, we can help you convert to % salt.

What NC Paul said...

The fermentation process is detailed in Mariansky's book pretty well...in short one of the protection "hurdles" we try to achieve in dry aged products is a low pH or an acidic environment that is inhospitable to the nasties. Bactoferm's products achieve this in slow/medium/fast time frames depending on the which one you use. The acid producing bacteria need sugar to feed on, thus the use of dextrose. If you cant get it at the local haunt check out home brew shops..they'll have it for sure. The instruction for the use of bactoferm products are with the package or online. It doesn't matter if its pork, beef or venison in terms of fermentation.

In terms of temperature, once fermentation is complete the 65-70 range is a guide. I try to run my cabinet at 60F, but i know my cabinets procedure results in temp swings from 55-65F. I've seen no ill effect.

Hope this helps :D
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:44 pm

You might want to check in the spice mixture for citric acid or encapsulated citric acid (ECA), if it has it, you won't need to do the fermentation step.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners