So many questions...

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

So many questions...

Postby Frieda » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi everyone. I have just recently started making my own sausage. My husband and I live on a farm and have great access to homegrown beef, pork, and chicken. Ok.....Here are my questions:
Do I have to use a cure at all if I am smoking my links for approx. 2 hours and then freezing them? I have made chorizo sausage in small casings and Italian garlic in larger casings. Fry sausage.
Is it the cure that makes the ham taste/texture?? Am I using too much prague powder if my moose/pork mix sausage is very dense and kind of ham tasting??
Fos B as a binder, do I need it??

I will stop there for now... and thank in advance for the advice (I hope) that comes. Happy sausage making all.
Frieda
Newly Registered

Re: So many questions...

Postby NCPaul » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D Whether the sausage needs cure would depend on the temperature of the smoker but usually it needs cure #1. It's not safe to have raw meat at the wrong temperature. If you would rather not have cure in the sausage, you could poach them at 170F for 15 minutes, cool them quickly, and then package and freeze them. The cure will turn the meat pink and give it a ham taste. Prague powder (cure #1) should be used at 2.4 grams per kilo of meat at a minimum (up to 3 times more is allowable). For most sausages, Fos B (phosphate) is not needed. You will find a lot of members here that can answer your questions. My guess is that you are in Canada.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: So many questions...

Postby Frieda » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanx NC Paul. Yep. Canada it is. Alberta. Thanx for your help. I like that poaching idea.
Frieda
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners