new to sausage question

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

new to sausage question

Postby pahunter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:57 am

hey guys im sure this question has already been covered but im new to the forum and new to the wirld of making sausage i was just wondering where everyone orders there go casings from
pahunter
Registered Member

Re: new to sausage question

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:21 am

pahunter,
That all depends where you live. We have members world wide. If in the UK, check this website for supplies. If you are in Australia, I can help you with suppliers.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:20 am

If your in the States (I'm guessing a hunter in PA) Try http://www.sausagemaker.com/.
You can also ask your local butcher for a few feet to get you started.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:39 pm

Well, you're in the US, at any rate. Whatever you do, I suggest you avoid the 'kit' casing and small amount bags of casing found at the big box outdoor sports stores, like Gander, Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. The casing is often old, tough, and scraps in poor shape. Instead, get them by the hank, locally if possible, from a meat processor or butcher shop. Also, there are a variety of mail-order/web store sources around the country, including Butcher-Packer, Allied-Kenco, LEM Products, The Sausage Maker, and Syracuse Natural Casing. The big sausage producers are generally using sources that do not sell retail. Keep in mind that much casing available at retail in the US is sourced from China. Personally, I use The Sausage Maker, and Allied-Kenco as backups, but have switched to Syracuse Natural Casing as my primary source, and I'm not looking back. If you are ordering on-line, all you need to do is search for sausage casing and you'll get lots of hits.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby pahunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:01 am

thanks for the info guys.. and my main concern was like vagreys said stay away from the cabelas and bass pro shop ones.. i looked online and alot of what was coming up was thru cabelas and bass proshop didnt know how lem would caompare to them
pahunter
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:22 pm

LEM is a bit pricey compared to Butcher Packer. For the same amount you can buy direct from a processor - Syracuse Natural Casing http://www.makincasing.com/x/home.php and get very fresh casings (they'll get my next order).
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:11 pm

I've been using Syracuse Natural Casing for over awhile, and have no complaints. I switched from hanks to pre-loaded dry-packed casing, and hope never to switch back. The pre-loaded casing only needs a quick rinse, and a brief soak (at least 10 minutes), and they are ready to go. Just slide them off the sleeve onto the stuffer horn, and they're loaded. It's great not to wrestle with unraveling hanks, anymore.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby pahunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:42 am

Well I just ordered a hank from sausage maker and they should be here in a few days.. Thanks for all your help guys I'm sure I'll post something when they are all done and I'll try Syracuse after that and then decide which I like better.. I'll let you guys know when I'm done..
pahunter
Registered Member

Return to Beginners