making my own cure#1

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

making my own cure#1

Postby smokemalky » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:24 am

I have purchased both a kilogramme each of sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate and already mixed a 200g batch of cure #1 using % 6.25 nitrite to % 93.75 salt. To improve my chances of a homogenous mix, I first ground both salt and nitrite with a pestle an morter, followed by mixing then sieving through a mesh sieve. Not convinced it was mixed enough, I bought a coffee grinder and ground the whole batch to a fine
, even powder and then used some of the cure with a bacon recipe to cure some pork belly which has another couple of days left to cure before I remove it from the fridge to wash and dry for cold smoking. I am new to curing meat and bought the raw nitrite/nitrate before knowing it is not the done thing to do. Now that I am aware of the difficulty of ensuring an homogenous mix, I am now doubting if my mix is safe. I do own acurate scales and I am confidently numerate so not worried about measuring, just will my cure remain mixed and is it safe? Any advise welcome.
Thanks
Malc
smokemalky
Newly Registered

Re: making my own cure#1

Postby wheels » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:33 am

Malc

We don't advise doing this: but if you must, and have accurate scales, you'd be best doing seperate batches for each project.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby smokemalky » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:11 am

I will dispose of the small batch already mixed and measure nitrite as and when required by a project, from now on. It is your beginners cure I am using for my first project. I got it on the local heroes site. Also, I have read all your articles on constructing a meat curing chamber, really clear instructions. Already, I have purchased the required controllers for temperature and humidity but wont start this project until after the new year.
Thanks
Phil
smokemalky
Newly Registered

Postby kimgary » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:26 pm

I trust that the nitrite and nitrate were FOOD grade?

Regards Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Whether the sale of food grade sodium nitrite is even legal is questionable. The Miscellaneous Food Additives and the Sweeteners in Food (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2007 state in Schedule 1 note x: "When labelled “for food use”, nitrite may be sold only in a mixture with salt or a salt substitute."

I know that it is sold online by a well known supplier of smoking dust; I bought some to be 100% that they are selling it without it being part of a mix with salt. Mine is under lock and key and has had a clearer label attached. It is sold as 'Sodium Nitrite (Food Grade)' so one assumes it would fall within the regulations. Whether the regulation is incorrect, or whether they are for selling it in breach of the regulations, I'll leave for others to sort out.

Although the wording on their website includes clear warnings, I have concerns that new users may not fully understand the implications. I doubt that they would expect, or realise, that they are buying enough cure for 1000kg of meat.

Not that I'm suggesting for one minute that this is so in Smokemalky's case.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ped » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:47 pm

My two pence worth, Why? and Barge Pole! come to mind, surely that's one wheel that doesn't need reinventing? No offence smokemalky but what is your rational?
ped
Registered Member

Postby ped » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Rationale! Sorry
ped
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:25 am

smokemalky wrote:...I am new to curing meat and bought the raw nitrite/nitrate before knowing it is not the done thing to do.

That's ok, since you've got fairly accurate scales with fine resolution, you can use the straight nitrite/nitrate in brines, where it has to be dissolved, anyway. It isn't wasted. And you learned something from the process.
...Now that I am aware of the difficulty of ensuring an homogenous mix, I am now doubting if my mix is safe. I do own acurate scales and I am confidently numerate so not worried about measuring, just will my cure remain mixed and is it safe?...

I would doubt it, too. With uneven crystal sizes, shapes and weights, there will undoubtedly be some settling and separating, and you won't be able to ensure an even mix. The only way I would trust it is if I were using the entire amount that's already been mixed as part of a brine. If it were me, I'd get all-purpose cure, or some Cure #1 and Cure #2 for dry curing, and use up the pure nitrite/nitrate in brines.

Be careful with your bacon. You might have gotten lucky, so don't give up on it, but a couple of well-worn clichés apply, here: "when in doubt, throw it out", and "it's not a sin to bin". Your safety and health are most important.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Beginners