First batch

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

First batch

Postby Coldcure » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:12 am

We made our first batch today. (which split because I think I filled them too much)

the casings were bought from the local butcher who looked at my OH like she was an alien and said something like" never been asked for them before" but fair play he sorted us out for a couple of quid.

The pork alas was from a supermarket which was much cheaper.

the sausages are really nice but we put too much of the seasoning in, well it is our first time.
Coldcure
Registered Member

Re: First batch

Postby yotmon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Coldcure, were they sheep or hog casings, hog are a lot easier to use. Also, did they split on filling or whilst cooking. If when cooking, it may have been because you didn't allow them enough time to settle down and 'bloom'. Best made one day and cooked the next.
Re' using too much seasoning, there's a load of good recipes on the site, just follow them exactly and then tweak the contents to your personal taste.

HTH Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: First batch

Postby Coldcure » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:34 pm

They were the collagen cases the ones I left till the morning to twist could not be twisted they were too full.

Going to try with venison on the weekend.
Coldcure
Registered Member

Return to Beginners