my first banger

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

my first banger

Postby Millssy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post but I have been reading your posts for weeks!

After spending a lot of time reading about sausages I finally decided to make my own, all in all it was quite successful.The flavours worked really well but I do have an issue with the texture.

I found the texture a bit stodgy, it didn't have the meaty bite that I wanted, I figure its something to do with the rusk (I'm using crackers) or the grind.
I did make 2 different batches, one lot had been ground once and the other batch got ground twice but they both had the same stodgyness.

Can any one help me ?
Millssy
Registered Member

Re: my first banger

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D What recipe did you use? Rusk can hold a bit more water than crackers. Did you keep the meat very cold while mincing and mixing?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Millssy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:49 pm

i didn't actually use a recipe!

I have spent weeks ready recipes and looking at proportions so i just winged it.

I had some of the sausages again today and they are much better than they were yesterday, goes to show how much of a difference letting them bloom makes! (are you impressed, first sausage and i already have the lingo ;) )

I thought the meat was cold enough but unlike in a few posts i have read it didn't make my hands hurt so it may of been to warm, i think i will also buy some proper rusk.

has anyone ever tried cutting the fat off the meat and mincing it a lot finer than the meat itself?
Millssy
Registered Member

Postby funksteruk2 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:12 am

no need to do that, the fat will render out when cooking keeping the sausage juicy no matter what you do with it

(am no expert)

I make my mix, taste a patty, leave it to bloom over night, retaste the next day and if I,m not happy add more of what I think is needed, try again then stuff. Then let the skins dry out
funksteruk2
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:23 am

Hi Millssy,

Welcome.

You don't say where you are, so we don't know what type of sausage you're after. If you tell us the Country you're in, and the sausage you want, we can advise.

You may be best to follow a recipe that's known to be good for your first attempt.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Millssy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:59 am

I am born and bred British :)

could a lack of salt cause the mooshyness?? i didn't put a lot in as i love salty food but my wife is trying to get me to reduce the amount i eat!

I did think about leaving the meat overnight before stuffing but i wasn't sure if it would make it difficult to do as i am only using a hand grinder with sausage attachment at the moment.
Millssy
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Your probably best to read the guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11029

It covers all the basics. It's the action of salt on the meat that turns minced pork into sausage-meat. However, I doubt that this is the cause of the 'mooshyness'.

If you post your recipe and method, I'm sure that someone will advise further.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners