First try at making Breakfast sausage.

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

First try at making Breakfast sausage.

Postby icbman51 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks for allowing me to join this forum. I'm sure all of you experienced sausage makers will be a big help. Got meat grinder with sausage making attachment for Christmas. Researched recipes and attempted first batch today. Used pork shoulder as per recipe. Problem: After cutting shoulder into 1 in cubes and putting through grinder with coarse setting, grinder kept clogging up with connective tissue. What did come through had the consistency of peanut butter. What did I do wrong? Will attempt to stuff casing but not sure if it will work.
icbman51
Registered Member

Re: First try at making Breakfast sausage.

Postby Jabba » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi ICB, I've jut started too! From what I've read the meat needs to be really cold, if not semi-frozen, before mincing/grinding. When I did my first batch I got the cold pork out of the fridge, cut it up and put it back in the fridge while I got everything set-up. I didn't chill it again before grinding a 2nd time but did notice when cleaning there was a lot of fat smeared inside the Kenwood attachment.

HTH

Cheers,
Jamie
Jabba
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi, welcome.

Also, if it's the first time you've used the grinder, check that you've set it up correctly. The blade needs to be flat against the mincer plate. Like this:

ImageImage

The front of the mincer needs to be done up tightly, so that the blade and plate are pushing hard against each other.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby icbman51 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:27 pm

The blade might have been my problem. I need to be more observant. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll be sure to check each time I use the grinder.
icbman51
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D If you don't have a very powerful grinder, you will find it will work better if most of the connective tissue is trimmed out. I spend more time trimming than I do grinding. It's best to get the meat almost frozen, dry to the touch. The meat when it leaves the grinder should be in well defined "ropes" of the same size as the holes. It should not be bypassing the plate.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners