Air cure ham has gone greasy

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Air cure ham has gone greasy

Postby jambo_munro2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:25 pm

My first go at creating my own Parma-style ham was all going great until a film of grease started to form all over the ham. Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone suggest reasons why this might be so?

They have been hanging out the back of the house under cover for about 3 months and were fine until about 2 weeks ago. I got back from holiday and found them greasy, but otherwise fine, i.e. they smell and look fine.
The temperature recently has been in the range 2-8 deg C and the humidity has been between 75% and 95%.

I have scraped off most of the layer of grease and brought them inside to the garage to dry out a bit, which worked.
Any other ideas?
If this first go was even remotely successful I was planning on building a chamber setup for my next batch, but I might bring that forward if I need to rescue these first two.
jambo_munro2
Newly Registered

Re: Air cure ham has gone greasy

Postby reee » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:38 am

My very uneducated opinion (uneducated as compared to many others here) is that it was a humidity issue. I've had similar issues or at least similar symptoms in the past.
reee
Registered Member

Return to Beginners