Finished kielbasa crumbly

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Finished kielbasa crumbly

Postby WBcoach » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Did my first batch of kielbasa last weekend and was disappointed with the results.

My inconsistent oven strikes again. Crumbly, oiled out kielbasa, albeit flavored very well. The lowest setting my oven knob goes to is 200 so I put it to where I thought 175 would be and kept a keen eye on my oven thermometer. Seemed to regulate there so in went the links. I kept checking the temp of the oven and I got a spike of over 200 and shortly thereafter there was a little pooling of the oil in the pan. Once the links hit an IT of 152, there was a considerable amount of oil in the pan. I immediately plunged them into an ice water bath and brought the temp down to 70F. I let it bloom for a few hours and then did a test piece in the frying pan. Excellent flavor, nice and mealy!

Since my Italian sausage links came out fine thanks to a suggestion of mixing for five minutes by a member here, and they had the same fat/meat ratio (80/20) I have to assume it was, in fact, the heat spike that caused the issue. I mixed the meat very well before stuffing into casings so I don't think that was the issue. Will have to try another batch using a better method.

The issue has to be one of these:
1-Heat spikes in oven
2-Not mixed well enough
3-Too coarse of a grind
4-Not enough fat.

Any guesses as to what the most likely culprit could be?
There are 2,112 different kinds of sausage in the world. I intend to make all of them before my time here is done.
WBcoach
Registered Member

Re: Finished kielbasa crumbly

Postby WBcoach » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Oops! The fat/meat ratio was 20/80.
There are 2,112 different kinds of sausage in the world. I intend to make all of them before my time here is done.
WBcoach
Registered Member

Return to Beginners