Did I make a mistake?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Did I make a mistake?

Postby rjg » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:18 pm

So, I am starting to get interested in curing meats and sausages, and at the recommendation of the wonderful internet I gave my first shot at curing anything to a few pounds of pork belly with the mouth watering temptation of fresh, wonderful bacon.

Anyway, I used Michael Ruhlman's recipe for the cure and followed his instructions.

After I rubbed the cure all over and into the meat I put about a tablespoon of maple syrup on one side and massaged it into the meat -- was that a mistake?

I began thinking about it, and I'm probably overthinking it a bit, but could I have inadvertently negated the cure by rubbing in the Maple Syrup rather than mixing it into the cure mix? I'm not sure how it would affect it, since all I really did was added the syrup and then massaged the cure in even more on that one side, but hey, better safe than sorry, right?

I figured I better ask someone with a bit more knowledge than myself on this one before I fry up some bacon next weekend.
rjg
Registered Member

Re: Did I make a mistake?

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:41 am

Welcome to the forum. :D Bacon curing is fairly forgiving as cured meats go and is a great project to begin with and bacon. I turn the belly each day in a zip bag in the fridge and rub the salt, sugar and cure around to get even distribution. The maple syrup won't be a problem. I tend to cure for 10-11 days then cold smoke for 3 days. You should look into a small scale for weighing cure ingredients. Recipes are much easier to scale in metric measures. Would you add your location to your profile, it makes it easier to give advice.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby rjg » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:10 am

I'm certainly glad I was over thinking it, I don't know if I could bear the thought of having to wait any longer for that bacon.

I actually do have a food scale, which I used in determining how much pink salt to use. I went with 3% weight of the meat, which was up a little from the 2.5% that Ruhlman recommended on the recipe. it was a compromise between his ratio and another recipe I found.

I picked up the Charcuterie book, and plan on picking up another one I can't remember the name of off the of my head.

if this turns out well, I think my next attempt will be another whole muscle, then hopefully some Chorizo *drool*.

I'm really looking forward to diving into this a lot more.
rjg
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:15 pm

I think you have a typo in your last post (I hope). What was your meat weight and the weight of the pink salt?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby ericrice » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:11 pm

rjg - to elaborate on NCPauls' question above the hope is you used 3% of the meat weight in total salt (salt plus pink salt) of which almost all would have been plain kosher salt (not pink salt). If you did use 3% of the weight in pink salt you have made a dangersous mistake and the meat will need to be binned. We'll wait on clarification from you.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby rjg » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:09 pm

Well, I am fairly confident that I used the directed amount of pink salt (2 teaspoons in this case) and that was a typo, and should have said 3% of the meat weight in kosher salt.

However, I am actually second guessing how much pink salt I used, as I followed the recipe and made the stupid mistake of not jotting down exactly what I used. Either way, to be on the cautious side I am tossing the bacon. I'm not chancing my poor safety to my poor memory, and I'll take it as a lesson learned to write my recipes down every time (you would think I would be in better habit of this from brewing beer, but I'm not!).

I'll have to find a new piece of belly and give it a go again this week.
rjg
Registered Member

Return to Beginners