Have my casings gone bad?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Have my casings gone bad?

Postby Jim_K » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi all,
I bought some ready-spooled hog casings (salted in a sealed bag) online recently, but due a mix-up they didn't get refrigerated for a week.
On opening, they smell a bit - but as it's my first sausage-making attempt I'm not sure if that's normal.
Should I bin them?

Jim
Jim_K
Newly Registered

Re: Have my casings gone bad?

Postby yotmon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Hi Jim - welcome. When you say they smell a bit - is it a rancid smell or something that's not unpleasant. What temp were they at for the week out of the fridge ? Normally the dry state of the casings plus the salt covering them keeps them from deteriorating. Casings do have a particular aroma but nothing too pungent. For piece of mind, nip into a local butchers shop (if one available) and ask him to check them for you, a physical inspection is a lot easier than guessing online.
Hope this helps. Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Have my casings gone bad?

Postby Bayouhawk » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:07 pm

natural casings have an odor. but its not a rotten smell.
ive always tried to err on the side of caution. you can make the best sausage around but if you make one person sick your out of business. if in doubt throw it out and start over. it can be costly but its better than the alternative and there is always that peace of mind thing.
Bayouhawk
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners