Vegetable suet instead of pork fat

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Vegetable suet instead of pork fat

Postby jitterbug1963 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:32 am

Hi everyone
I have spent a while looking round this site and am fascinated by the knowledge shown.
I have been making a few sausages for myself using shoulder pork but find them dry and grainy and wondered if I could use vegetable suet instead of belly pork.(need to keep fat content relatively low)
Also if making sausages for coeliacs and gluten free diet what would you recommend as a substitute for rusk.
Thanks everyone and I look forward to your replies.
Steve
jitterbug1963
Newly Registered

Re: Vegetable suet instead of pork fat

Postby onewheeler » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:21 pm

As no-one else has replied...

Don't know about the suet question. With regards to rusk, I'd just leave it out (and so no or little added water). I very seldom use rusk / breadcrumbs and don't have any issues with texture. It may help in rusk-free recipes to cook longer and slower due to the lack of added liquid, but most of my cooking is done in the oven anyway as we have an Aga and it's always on.

Alternatively, cooked rice would be a possible replacement (look up recipes for Cambridge sausage - there's one on Phil's web site).

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Re: Vegetable suet instead of pork fat

Postby jitterbug1963 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks Martin for your reply , have just looked at the recipe on Phil's website and will give it a try. I will also try without rusk and water. does this mean I have to adjust the seasoning quantities?

Steve
jitterbug1963
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners