prosciutto and lard

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

prosciutto and lard

Postby Jmadera » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:58 am

Hi guys. New to the prosciutto asking. I have salted my ham and pressed for over a month. I want to know when I should lard the exposed meat. Is it to early to put lard on right after salting. Any advise is greatly appreciated. will the meat be ruined if I lard right away.
Jmadera
Newly Registered

Re: prosciutto and lard

Postby reee » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:32 pm

I dont think you want to use only lard - I think you want to make a struto (lard and flour mixture). Check curedmeatsblog and see if they have something on there about that, you might also check out sausagedebouchery blog and look for the same.
reee
Registered Member

Re: prosciutto and lard

Postby vondugan26 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:36 pm

i always rinse my legs in some cool water to get the excess salt off - then hang them back up to dry for a day or so - you will notice the outside starting to get slight hard to the touch - i then lard them right then ... the above post is correct in terms of the lard and flour but i always just used Crisco and always had good results. If your basement or area where you are aging has a potential for flies coming around then add a lot of black pepper to the mixture as well to keep them away.
vondugan26
Registered Member

Return to Beginners