Correct "cure" ratio

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Correct "cure" ratio

Postby Markcan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:57 pm

This is my third attempt at making sausages. The first two batches I smoked. This one I did not. I used 2 Tbsp of cure for ten pounds of meat/fat mixture. I let it hang overnight then packaged it up and put it in the freezer. Should I have any concerns?
Markcan
Newly Registered

Re: Correct "cure" ratio

Postby ericrice » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:25 pm

Well most on here (me included) will say to invest in a scale for more accurate measurements. I assume cure #1 as there are several with different nitrite percentages - 93.75% salt and 6.25% sodium nitrite? If yes, without weighing that is the recommended measurement for 10lbs. I also assume the meat was hung at temps below 60f. If yes I see no concerns.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: Correct "cure" ratio

Postby Markcan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:16 am

I bought the cure from a butcher and he didn't say which one it was. I have since found out there are several different ones. And yes a scale is definately going to be purchased.
Markcan
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners