Water or Not?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Water or Not?

Postby hmmm sausages » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:47 pm

I'm just starting out in the great world of sausage making, my first attempt followed a recipe from "Designasausage" where I got my machine from. It uses 900gs of meat, 55g of breadcrumbs, a bit of stabilizer and some flavourings. They seemed a little dry, would I be better putting some water in them? Or perhaps a higher fat content?
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:56 pm

hmmm sausages

55 grms of crumb is good for 900 grms of meat/fat. Crumb or rusk can be 5% - 10%, but yes you should add liquid albeit a flavoured stock or water. For your amount of crumb I would add the same weight of water to start with, and keep on adding bit by bit until your mixture becomes a little sticky. With regard to adding fat.. yes, definitely and this can be anything up to 30% of the total weight.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:35 pm

well, some nice fatty meat, some good quality meat too, and some water and I have made my second batch over bangers!! They look awesome too. cheers for the advice Paul :d
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Return to Beginners