Collagen casings

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Collagen casings

Postby Tricia » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:10 pm

My first attempt at sausage making involved using collagen casings which kept splitting as I tried to feed it on to the nozzle, would a beginner be better using a different type of casing and which one?
I managed in the end by soaking the casings in oil.

Any advice would be great.
Tricia
Newly Registered

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:28 pm

Tricia

I have not used collagen casings but seem to recall this subject has been raised in the past. I think the issue was to do with the horn/filler tube being tapered whereas collagen casings are better suited to being put on a parallel filler, or certainly one that is smaller diameter than the casing. I can only assume they do not have the 'stretch' factor of natural casings that have been soaked.
It might be worth checking the open end of the filler to see if there are any small sharp nicks in the plastic. If there are, just smooth them off with a small piece of fine sandpaper
I have used only natural casings since taking up the hobby and find they suit my requirements.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby JFIELDS » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:55 pm

I just had my first sausage making as well, also using collagen casings. One tip I read in one of the books was to wet the tube. I had the casing uncompressed in a little bucket of water. I also used a funnel to pour a bit of water into the other end of the casing and work it through, with the other side just slightly on the tube. Using that technique, I didn't have any problems. It sailed right onto the tube, and came back off as I was stuffing with no hitches. On both runs, I got enough casing on to go straight through 2.5 lbs from my 3 lb stuffer, even with the smaller diameter breakfast size casings.

I'm curious to see what issues other beginners have, so I can learn from people in the same phase of learning as myself.

Justin
JFIELDS
Registered Member

Return to Beginners