Tough casings

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Tough casings

Postby roseway » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:17 am

One of the many reasons I find supermarket sausages unpalatable is that I don't like the tough skins. The hog casings which I've been using so far seem almost to melt into the meat during cooking, so they're not tough at all. Would I be right in assuming that collagen casings are tougher, much more like those on supermarket sausages?

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:45 pm

Hi Roseway,

I can't comment on Hog Casings as I have not tried them yet but Yes Collagen casings are like those used in the Supermarkets, but I have to admit that since I have been making my sausages, the casings are consistently softer than most of the ones used in supermarkets. Not had a tough sausage yet, but there is still time. Next time I buy, I'm trying hog casings, they are easier to link
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:08 pm

If you buy the better quality supermarket sausages (i.e. Tescos Finest, or Sainsburys Taste the Difference), they do use natural casings - but you can still get tough natural casings, even if you are making your own sausages.

I've not determined what causes this, but I suspect it has a bit to do with:

1) How fresh your casings are
2) How long you let them soak
3) Quality of the casings

I've also heard some tricks of the trade whereby the casings are soaked with a bit of pineapple juice or vinegar to soften them up, but i've not tried this.

1) Your best bet is to buy quality casings from a reputable source

2) Let them soak overnight and change the water several times

3) Be sure to flush the casings with water (i.e. water inside).
aris
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:09 pm

hmmm sausages

I take it you are having difficulty linking sausages made with collagen casings. I have not used them but seem to recall that after stuffing them if you smear your hands with a light vegetable oil and run them the length of the sausage, they will link much easier. My local butcher dips his hands in water, but is a lot quicker with his linking so it doesn't have time to dry.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:16 pm

Hi Paul,

I actually did an ok attempt at linking. I was pleased to see I used a similar way of doing it to your tutorial. I reckon I can improve my technique by using hog casings, they seemed more pliable, I am also making my mixture a little softer still as yours looked softer than mine.

I'm learning a lot from this site, I owe you some sausages :o)

Might sad daft saying this as I am still very new but do people on here get together and compare sausages over a few jars of ale or anything ever? Other sites I am members of do and I have found some really good friends there
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:13 pm

hmmm sausages

I did the linking tutorial with a slightly slacker mixture than I normally use due to the limitations of my webspace and the size the file turned out. Seconds are precious when you are limited. Hog casings are pliable, as you have observed. If you wish to improve your linking technique then I would suggest you try sheeps casings and make the sausages about 5" to 6" long. They are better to manipulate at that size during the linking process and are good to learn initially with. They are not as delicate as people think and at the end of the day take less time to cook.

I know that Franco does a sausage night, but it is too far to travel for me. It is nice to meet people and put a face to the name, as like minded people, but unless there are people in your immediate area it doesn't seem viable

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:39 am

aris wrote:If you buy the better quality supermarket sausages (i.e. Tescos Finest, or Sainsburys Taste the Difference), they do use natural casings - but you can still get tough natural casings, even if you are making your own sausages.

I've not determined what causes this, but I suspect it has a bit to do with:

1) How fresh your casings are
2) How long you let them soak
3) Quality of the casings

I've also heard some tricks of the trade whereby the casings are soaked with a bit of pineapple juice or vinegar to soften them up, but i've not tried this.

1) Your best bet is to buy quality casings from a reputable source

2) Let them soak overnight and change the water several times

3) Be sure to flush the casings with water (i.e. water inside).

Thanks for that advice. I've tried Tescos Finest, and they are still tough to my taste. Your last points sound pretty well right, so I shall carry on that way.

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Return to Beginners