what cut for sausage?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

what cut for sausage?

Postby senorkevin » Fri May 16, 2014 2:00 am

Does anyone know that the cut I need to make sausage is called in American? Would it be pork butt?
An Englishman living in México.
There'e not such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer!
senorkevin
Registered Member

Re: what cut for sausage?

Postby BriCan » Fri May 16, 2014 4:07 am

Yep. :)

Anything off the shoulder ... Pork Butt, Pork Picnic, combined they make up the whole shoulder

http://i2.wp.com/www.jamesandeverett.co ... arcass.jpg
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Tasso » Fri May 16, 2014 4:24 am

Also frequently called Boston Butt or pork shoulder. But in Mexico, it will probably be called Hombro de Cerdo. BTW, if you need lean pork, pork loin will be called Lomo de Cerdo.

Boneless and skinless pork shoulder (Boston Butt) is easy to work with. I prefer the cuts with the bone in and skin on when I'm smoking or roasting it whole.

Try to get natural pork shoulder that has not been enhanced with any "flavor enhancing" brines. In Mexico, I'm guessing that minimally processed pork will be far more common than the "enhanced" (i.e., salty and water-logged) pork shoulder than many grocery stores in the US sell.
Tasso
Registered Member

Postby Tasso » Fri May 16, 2014 4:44 am

Updated above to add some additional terms you might see.

Tasso wrote:Also frequently called Boston Butt or pork shoulder. But in Mexico, it will probably be called Hombro de Cerdo, or Cabeza de Lomo (the butt part of the shoulder), or Brazuelo (the picnic part of the shoulder) . BTW, if you need lean pork, pork loin will be called Lomo de Cerdo.

Boneless and skinless pork shoulder (Boston Butt) is easy to work with. I prefer the cuts with the bone in and skin on when I'm smoking or roasting it whole.

Try to get natural pork shoulder that has not been enhanced with any "flavor enhancing" brines. In Mexico, I'm guessing that minimally processed pork will be far more common than the "enhanced" (i.e., salty and water-logged) pork shoulder than many grocery stores in the US sell.
Tasso
Registered Member

Postby senorkevin » Fri May 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Would that be a blade roast?
senorkevin
Registered Member

Postby Thewitt » Fri May 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Yes the pork shoulder is also called the blade roast.

You can make sausage from any part of the pig however.

We buy whole split pigs and turn the entire animal into sausage. You need to control the meat to fat, as well as the soft fat and firm fat ratio, but it all makes great sausage in the end.
Thewitt
Registered Member

Postby senorkevin » Fri May 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Many thanks for you help.
senorkevin
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Fri May 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Jeff Weiss points out that, in Spain, sausage is commonly made from a combination of neck meat (collar), shoulder, and belly. The picnic shoulder (leg end of the shoulder) is also used by some folks, trimmed of connective tissues, of course. Whole hog sausage is also common, here in the US - meat from the entire animal.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Beginners