Air Dry Ham Recipe

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Air Dry Ham Recipe

Postby warston » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:02 am

hello everyone
I was wondering if anyone got a recipe for curing pork leg or loin air dry if i don't have a curing chamber !
what i have in mind is some grounded spices and cure#2 and hang the meat up in the garage or in a dry cold place.
Roger
warston
Registered Member

Re: Air Dry Ham Recipe

Postby wheels » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:56 am

When asked by PM, I said I didn't have a recipe for this, however, I've just remembered a post by the forum owner on The River Cottage website:

http://www.rivercottage.net/forum/the-r ... oto-guide/

Obviously, you'll need somewhere below 15°C (59°F) so it may best best left until the autumn.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi Wheels, had a look at Franco's recipe and seems easy enough to follow, might have a go later in the year as i have somewhere in mind to hang one ( a farmer friend has a old disused dairy room off his kitchen ). :wink:
Re' the 'RC' forum, there are some scary recipes/advice given by folk that don't seem to have the knowledge to do so. If you take a look at the top of page 5 of Franco's post, someone has come along to say you can make Parma ham by just salting it for 1 day, wash it off and hang it in front of a blower for 3 days and its ready :shock: I was looking at another post on cured duck when someone suggested using 6 tablespoons of saltpetre in the cure. :? I think it was your good self that offered advice and guidance on such an amount. To be honest, Iv'e watched a few videos on youtube by HFW and the lack of precision in ingredients or lack of them (cure 1 +2), make me think he's just 'winging' it and flying by the seat of his pants !
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:02 pm

I used to be a member over there, but it even got too much for me! You're fighting a losing battle against the 'bit of salt, and hang it in a tree' mentality.

Some members tried to help, but in the end, 'there's no so blind as those that will not see'.

Perhaps it's about time for Franco's recipe to be on here?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:02 am

Hey Phil ! this is EXACTLY what i was looking for ! thanks a lot for your efforts and for not overlooking me :)
Roger
warston
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:22 pm

Glad to be of help.

Be sure to keep the temp below 59°F (15°C) though.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:07 pm

wheels wrote:Glad to be of help.

Be sure to keep the temp below 59°F (15°C) though.

Phil

will do :wink:
warston
Registered Member

Postby warston » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:07 am

Hey Phil
if i cured the cut in the fridge, will that be ok ? or i need a curing chamber ?
any easy guide about " building your own curing chamber" including the parts names and the best stores to buy them ?
thanks
warston
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:03 am

For curing a loin, I would experiment with a UMAi bag. Look at their experiments on You Tube and Forum
I am curing some Coppas in my kitchen fridge at the moment with a predicted weightloss.
I think you can buy bags big enough for a part Ham.
Good luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:08 am

warston wrote:any easy guide about " building your own curing chamber" including the parts names and the best stores to buy them ?

For US member's, this is the best:

http://curedmeats.blogspot.co.uk/2007/0 ... amber.html

HTH

Edited: Please note that there are many posts about this subject on the forum, and photos of some brilliant fridge conversions.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby warston » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:07 pm

thanks Jan for the info !
thanks Phil for the link
warston
Registered Member

Postby warston » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:44 am

have a question, can anyone please tell me if this item fits a frig that i'm planning to turn it to curing chamber? http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Off-New-Digi ... 0914004066
i just saw that its cables are different from the other devices
warston
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Warston, if you're a little handy that should work fine. You'll need a relay. And, make sure you set the interval for the temp long, like a minute or more, it's not good for refrigerator compressors to switch on and off rapidly. The cables might be included temp/RH sensors.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby warston » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:52 am

Thanks Wunderdave ! so u r saying that this kind of cables and jacks will work right ?
warston
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:13 pm

no promises, but it looks from that ad that the cables shown are actually the temp/RH sensor. The other cables and jacks are up to you to wire correctly. This type of product is NOT a plug-and-play solution, you will need to do some wiring.

If you want a plug and play solution those products are available at 3-4x the cost of the controller box alone.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Next

Return to Beginners