First time making cased sausage

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

First time making cased sausage

Postby Gerry D » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:39 pm

I am going to make italian style sausage from Charcuterie and had a few questions. Does pork picnic shoulder have enough fat? I have pancetta and fat back available if I need to add extra fat. I plan on purchasing my casings from butcher packer. What would be the best type of casing to use for grilling? I was planning on using hog casings but they have a number of other kinds. Thanks. Can't wait to get started!
Slainte

Gerry D
Gerry D
Registered Member

Re: First time making cased sausage

Postby Thewitt » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi

Welome to the club.

I typically end up adding back fat to shoulder because it's very lean here. I like about 30% fat in my sausage.

Hog casings are certainly best for grilling without a doubt.

Enjoy!

-t
Thewitt
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:50 pm

For sausage where the casing is to be cooked and eaten, hog's or sheep's casing is the norm - sheep's are thinner and more tender, hog's are larger and easier to handle, but not as tender as sheep's.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:45 pm

I would suggest leaving out the red wine vinegar, it gives the sausage an odd taste and hurts the texture. Let us know how it works for you. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners